Vancouver All-Ages Venues

Can anyone recommend any good all-ages venues in Vancouver for an electronica/dance show?

I'm in the process of planning an all ages performance of Synthosaurus in Vancouver, but having spent a fairly minimal amount of time there I'm not sure what venues there are in the city that would be well suited to a show of this nature (for an idea of what the show is like, you can check out this video). The show is a crowdsourced venture, and very indie, so cost is the biggest factor - if I can rent a nice, empty room for cheap, that would be great, although if there is a reputable AA venue with approx 100 capacity and a decent soundsystem (the show itself is very low-fi in terms of tech, so I'm primarily concerned with having nice speakers/subs and less concerned with, say, a massive mixing console) then that would be great as well. Any potential leads would be appreciated, just so I'm not starting my search from scratch. Cheers!
posted by CarrotAdventure to Media & Arts (8 answers total)

croation cultural centre was good when I was a lad.
posted by ouchitburns at 5:10 PM on May 20, 2010

Vancouver has a dire lack of cheap (all-ages or otherwise) legal performance venues.
There are always illegal venues, punk houses, etc, but that is probably not what you're looking for?

Here is the most comprehensive resource I know of (publicly shared google doc, regularly updated). Prepared by volunteers at Safeamp Society. They may have other suggestions for you, or answers for your questions.

@ouchitburns, The Croatian Cultural Centre is no longer doing all-ages shows or any other type of amplified live music. (They were an all-ages/punk/hardcore landmark). They have had too many noise complaints from the neighbourhood and the city has told them they have to soundproof the building before they can do that kind of thing again. Considering the size of the building, that seems unlikely to happen....
posted by 100kb at 6:47 PM on May 20, 2010 [1 favorite]

Anza Club? Mebbe the Russian Hall?
posted by stray at 7:19 PM on May 20, 2010 [1 favorite]

Yeah, I think Anza can be all-ages.
posted by barnone at 7:48 PM on May 20, 2010

Also, the Roundhouse in Yaletown can be rented out. There are a bunch of rooms to rent -- not sure which one would work for your purposes.
posted by barnone at 7:51 PM on May 20, 2010

This might be a good show for Little Mountain Gallery. It's nicely set up for a crowd of about 100 with a small intimate stage and an open floor where you could dance, and they often host really neat bands, frequently all ages. I've heard a couple of shows there and the sound was decent. Only thing is they usually have to wrap by 11 sharp due to neighborhood noise stuff, and you can't have shake-the-windows sound levels. Otherwise it's a really great little venue.

I tried to find some photos that show the interior. The stage is in the corner of the main room, and here's a couple shots of the main room 1, 2 -- notice it's a fish eye lens. I'd say you could comfortably fit 30 people in front of the stage and you could pack about 50 if they were having fun. There's lots of space further back though.
posted by PercussivePaul at 9:45 PM on May 20, 2010

The Croatian Cultural Centre is no longer doing all-ages shows or any other type of amplified live music. (They were an all-ages/punk/hardcore landmark). They have had too many noise complaints from the neighbourhood and the city has told them they have to soundproof the building before they can do that kind of thing again. Considering the size of the building, that seems unlikely to happen....

That is SO SAD. Although I had little appreciate for all-ages shows there as an adult, I loved going there when I was younger.

.

The Commodore Ballroom can be all-ages, although this might only be able to happen during the daytime.

Otherwise, maybe something on UBC campus, like the SUB/AMS Ballroom (although I think that this might have to be organized/booked by a student)?

Anza Club is also a good idea, as mentioned above.
posted by urbanlenny at 7:13 AM on May 21, 2010

These answers are super helpful, thanks everybody!
posted by CarrotAdventure at 11:31 AM on May 21, 2010

« Older A grape idea?   |   I need a LOST costume! Newer »