What should I cook with all these veggies?

What should I make out of the contents of my crisper?

In my crisper I have: 1 bunch of parsley, 7 carrots, many button mushrooms, 1 head of broccoli, many limes, 2 white onions, 1 green pepper (capsicum), 1 red pepper (capsicum), 1 "caribe" pepper, 3 beets and 2 plantains, most of which are quickly approaching their use by date. What can I make to most efficiently use this stuff up?

I've thought of getting some eggplant and a bunch of tomatoes and making some eggplant parmigiana, using up onion, capsicums, a carrot or two and some of the parsley in the red sauce, maybe some of the mushrooms too...but am sure that more imaginative cooks might have some better suggestions!
posted by toodles to Food & Drink (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

A spicy slaw with the carrots, broccoli (stem), onions, pepper, and maybe even the beets matchstick slivered and dressed with lime juice, sugar, and the caribe, and maybe soy sauce, fish sauce, or whatever's on hand for more savoriness.
posted by artifarce at 2:41 PM on May 19, 2010

I would cook a steak with a chimichurri sauce, roast off the beets with a little balsamic vinegar and a clove or 2 of garlic and make a beet salad with some goat cheese.

I would roast off the carrots and broccoli with some garlic and thyme/rosemary. Separately saute the mushrooms/onions with the peppers and make a hash.

If the plantains are ripe, you could make tostones/maduros with a little caramel drizzle for dessert, but only if they are actually ripe.

Beef with vegetable hash and a beet salad with endives and goat cheese and for dessert fried plantains with a caramel drizzle.
posted by TheBones at 2:52 PM on May 19, 2010

I'd freeze the parsley in ice cubes until the next time you make chicken or tuna salad, and use everything else in a basic curry, replacing the can of tomatoes in that recipe with fresh-squeezed lime juice.
posted by Greg Nog at 3:09 PM on May 19, 2010

Make a gin and tonic with lime. Enjoy while making the following:

Soup with the parsley, carrots, mushrooms, onion and peppers. Add tofu, chicken or beef if you like. I'd add salt, pepper and bay leaves at the least, and then throw in whatever spices appeal to you.

Roast the beets and/or broccoli with salt and olive oil.

Make the plantain dessert mentioned above.

I'm pretty sure that if you wanted to, you could juice the limes and fill an ice cube try partway (or maybe you would want to fill them all the way -- it'd depend on the portions you want) to later throw in things like stir fry. Or a pitcher of gin and tonic.
posted by runningwithscissors at 3:34 PM on May 19, 2010 [1 favorite]

You are making three things for dinner tonight; two of them are start-it-and-walk-away projects, and the other takes some work (but is worth it).

Vegetable soup

1 bunch of parsley
7 carrots
many button mushrooms
1 head of broccoli
2 white onions
1 red pepper
1 green pepper (capsicum)
1 "caribe" pepper

Make a vegetable stock with 4 carrots, 1.5 onions, a handful of parsley, half of your mushrooms and the trimmings from all your peppers. Cover with water and add salt, simmer for 30 minutes or so -- until it tastes good and the vegetables have no flavor left on their own.

Remove the veggies, return to a simmer, and add the remaining chopped vegetables. Dried herbs would be beneficial here too, as well as garlic. Canned tomatoes would also help. Add some parsley at the end. The broccoli should go in late so that it doesn't get overcooked. (Honestly, I'd leave the broccoli out of the soup and roast it for dinner tomorrow night.)

Freeze the leftover parsley.

Roasted beets

3 beets

Scrub your three beets well. Coat lightly in olive oil. Place into a baking dish with about 1/2" of water and cover tightly with foil. Roast at 400 for 40 minutes, or until they're tender. Let them cool a bit and rub off the skins.

Tostones

2 plantains
1 red pepper (capsicum)
many limes

Make tostones. Serve with a dipping sauce constructed thusly:

Juice several limes. (They don't all have a lot of juice. You want to end up with about 1/8 of a cup.) Add a couple pinches of salt, a crushed clove of garlic, half the chopped red pepper. Add olive oil and whisk until it reaches the desired level of tartness. (You want it more tart than the usual vinaigrette.)

That right there sounds like a fine dinner to me.
posted by mudpuppie at 3:35 PM on May 19, 2010

Vegetable fried rice with onions, broccoli, carrots, mushrooms and peppers.

Beets with lime butter

Dessert: Fried caramelized plantains with vanilla ice-cream (if the plantains are ripe)
posted by prenominal at 3:39 PM on May 19, 2010

I love the idea of the spicy slaw, but think I will try it with veggies that are a bit fresher. I'm going to roast the beets and broccoli (hadn't ever thought to roast broccoli!) ala runningwithscissors, make mudpuppie's veggie soup, and serve a good bread along side with some goat cheese to spread. For dessert, prenominal's fried caramelized plantains with good vanilla ice cream.

Normally I make tostones out of green plantains and serve them with the always classy half mayo / half ketchup sauce...next time I'll be trying mudpuppie's lime / chile sauce instead.

Thanks much for all the ideas...I best answered the ones I'll be using immediately, but they are all great!
posted by toodles at 8:53 AM on May 20, 2010

« Older How do you digitize a research notebook?   |   What can I expect from my mom's DUI charge? Newer »