Inspire my inner vegetarian

Help me find some delicious (vegetarian) recipes!

My partner and I are mostly vegetarian. When we eat meat, it's local, ethically raised and hormone free. We're students, so the cost of 'ethical' meat is a pretty big deterrent. Hence "mostly" vegetarian.

Having said that... I am bored with all of my vegetarian recipes, and I think I've pretty much reached the end of my allrecipes.com rope. I've looked through past AskMeFi posts and have found one or two recipes of interest, but I'm looking for more. We are both adventurous and willing to try almost anything, so I'd appreciate some sources for good recipes, and I'd love to hear about some of your favourites. Bonus points if we don't have to empty our wallets to make them!
posted by torisaur to Food & Drink (27 answers total) 48 users marked this as a favorite

How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman.
posted by ottereroticist at 10:58 AM on May 17, 2010 [2 favorites]

I'm very partial to the recipes at 101 Cookbooks.
posted by Zophi at 11:00 AM on May 17, 2010 [1 favorite]

I used to like Vegetarian Times, though I haven't taken it for years, so YMMV. Recipes available online. Moosewood cookbooks are very good, I think. They also have recipes online.
posted by thebrokedown at 11:03 AM on May 17, 2010

I love recommending my friends' blog, Diet for a Small Apartment. Mostly vegetarian, locally-raised meat when they do have it, and heavily reliant on farmer's markets and other ethical sources of their food.
posted by olinerd at 11:04 AM on May 17, 2010

Isa Chandra Moskowitz. Every cookbook she has ever written or co-written is gold. Start with Veganomicon and go from there.
posted by ChrisHartley at 11:04 AM on May 17, 2010 [1 favorite]

I made the vegetarian lasagna from Joy of Cooking last week and it was delicious, and even more so considering I've never ever liked eggplant in anything before.
posted by VeritableSaintOfBrevity at 11:05 AM on May 17, 2010

I really like Madhur Jaffrey's books. Try World Vegetarian!
posted by bewilderbeast at 11:07 AM on May 17, 2010 [3 favorites]

This recipe from Moosewood's Simple Suppers is pretty much my favorite vegetarian recipe of all time; super-easy, more tasty than you would believe from the simple prep. Check the book out from the library or pick it up somewhere; it's all pretty good, and not at all complicated.

Red Lentil Soup with Greens

Ingredients
1 1/4 cups red lentils
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons black mustard seeds (optional)
1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds or anise seeds
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon ground ginger or 2 tablespoons grated, peeled ginger root
1 garlic clove, pressed or minced
4 cups rinsed, drained, and chopped fresh mustard greens, Swiss chard, or spinach (swiss chard makes the prettiest soup)
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup coconut milk
Directions
Rinse the lentils and drain. In a soup pot, bring 5 cups of water, the lentils, and salt to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until tender, about 30 minutes.

While the lentils cook, warm the oil in a saucepan on medium heat, add the black mustard seeds, and cover until they pop. Stir in the fennel (or anise), red pepper flakes, ginger, and garlic and cook for a minute, stirring constantly. Add the greens and the salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the greens are just wilted. Stir in the coconut milk and simmer for 1 minute. Remove from the heat.

When the lentils are soft, stir in the greens and coconut milk mixture and add salt to taste.
posted by charmedimsure at 11:07 AM on May 17, 2010 [10 favorites]

I subscribe to Vegetarian Times - I usually find at least two or three things each month to add to the rotation.

Additionally, here are some of our staples:
Barbecued Tempeh Hash
Skillet Gnocchi with White Beans and Chard
Asparagus-Ricotta Phyllo Tart (I made this last night with mixed sauteed greens instead of the asparagus.)
Grilled Polenta with White Bean Salad
Slow Cooker Polenta with Leeks and Mushrooms (or with mixed roasted vegetables)
Cheese and Spinach Stuffed Portobellos over whole wheat pasta
Chili Glazed Tofu over Asparagus and Sesame Rice
Ziti with Spinach, Cherry Tomatoes, and Gorgonzola Sauce
Gnocchi with Zucchini Ribbons and Parsley Butter Sauce
Broccoli Chowder
Poblano Cheese Enchiladas
posted by something something at 11:18 AM on May 17, 2010 [3 favorites]

I have the Ottolenghi cookbook, which has fabulous recipes, although many of them use meat. Happily for you, though, he has a brilliant series on vegetarian food for the Guardian newspaper - The New Vegetarian.
posted by schmoo at 11:22 AM on May 17, 2010 [1 favorite]

Previously. Also bread can be cheap.
posted by chairface at 11:24 AM on May 17, 2010

This is a little odd, but delicious and filling. The most expensive part is probably the pepitas. Even the emphatically non-vegetarians I know love it. Wish I could remember what cookbook I got it from!

Green Posole Stew
1/2 c. raw unsalted pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
1 can (~6 oz.? a small can) salsa verde OR
1 can green tomatoes and 1 can green chiles.
1/3 c. chopped spinach, fresh or frozen
2 1/2 c. vegetable stock
1 clove garlic, minced
1 T oil
1 - 29 oz. can of white hominy, drained
salt and pepper to taste

Toast the pumpkin seeds in a dry skillet about 5 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool; grind to fine meal in food processor. Puree green tomatoes and chiles if using instead of salsa verde. Heat garlic in oil in pot over medium heat. Add salsa, spinach, and stock; heat and blend with blender/immersion blender. Return to heat, add seeds and hominy and heat through; season to taste.
posted by Janta at 11:26 AM on May 17, 2010 [2 favorites]

La Dolce Vegan
The Garden of Vegan
How it all Vegan

All from here.
posted by purephase at 12:14 PM on May 17, 2010

Best book - Rebar's Cookbook

Best Food Blogs (have some non-veggie recipes too, but mostly vegetarian):
Smitten Kitchen
Chocolate & Zucchini
A Veggie Venture (w/ an Alphabet of Vegetables)
posted by caddis at 12:15 PM on May 17, 2010

forgot a blog: Eat Me Delicious
posted by caddis at 12:24 PM on May 17, 2010

I'll second the plug for 101 Cookbooks. Her recipes are simple, elegant and tasty. Not at all the usual stuff.

Also Google for "FatFree Vegan". A very nice blog and a very extensive recipe collection. If you don't wanna be fat free, just use oil to saute. She has some "Ridiculously Easy" recipes that live up to their name: Cheap, easy, good.
posted by justcorbly at 12:40 PM on May 17, 2010

I just came across this review of vegetarian cookbooks which you might find helpful.
posted by caddis at 1:48 PM on May 17, 2010

Response by poster: You are all amazing, thank you :)
posted by torisaur at 2:21 PM on May 17, 2010

I favorited it, but I'm going to also 2nd Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian.

My at work online sources are Smitten Kitchen, 101 CookBooks (her Otsu recipe has become a staple), Orangette, and Bon Appetit. Most of these aren't all veg, but have plenty to work with.
posted by grapesaresour at 2:36 PM on May 17, 2010

Fresh365 is a great blog.
Vegetarian Times usually has well tested recipes (free signup required).

One thing you should make RIGHT NOW: Roasted Chickpea Tacos.

2 cans chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans)
Corn Tortillas
pico de gallo (or buy premade fresh stuff, it's ok)
Shredded "mexican" cheese (optional)

Take 2 cans of chickpeas. Drain and rinse, then let drip dry.
Take a baking sheet (with rims) line it with foil. Pile the chickpeas in the center, drizzle over olive oil, salt, pepper, and some smoked paprika or chipotle powder. Toss to coat. Shake the pan to make an even layer.

Roast in a 400 degree oven for 15 min. Toss around, and bake for 5-10 more. You're looking for warm, slightly toasted. Slightly crisp on the outside, creamy inside.

Meanwhile, heat up corn tortillas individually in a dry hot skillet, turning frequently until one or two light brown spots show. We do 2 tortillas per taco, and 2 tacos per person. If you're doing some cheese, melt it now on the top tortilla.

Assemble tacos. Nom. Be amazed at the lack of pans to clean and the <>
Should (in theory) make 4 servings. It's a bit more like 2 dinners and a leftover chickpea snack if you're not serving sides.
posted by fontophilic at 2:43 PM on May 17, 2010 [2 favorites]

Mollie Katzen and the Moosewood Collective: The Moosewood Cookbook, The Enchanted Broccoli Forest, etc.
The Greens Cookbook (Deborah Madison) and Fields of Greens (Annie Somerville)
Alice Waters and the Chez Panisse empire
Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison
How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman
Veganomicon by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero
The Accidental Vegetarian by Simon Rimmer
The Flexitarian Table by Peter Berley
Madhur Jaffrey has a ton of veg-only cookbooks. Speaking of, Indian and Mediterranean cuisine is your friend, as is everyday Mexican (usually humble dishes sans meat not out of lack of desire but rather lack of funds/availability). When they aren't, you can easily mod them to be as meat tends not to be the focal point. Lots of Italian cucina povera dishes are similarly humble and meatless, focusing on beans and cheese instead.

Orangette isn't strictly vegetarian, but she def. leans that way, and her husband is so most entrees mention vegetarian modifications.
posted by ifjuly at 4:10 PM on May 17, 2010

I recently bought Jack Bishop's complete italian vegetarian cookbook - I think it's really great.

I often put vegetarian recipes up on my blog. Some of the bishop recipes are there.
posted by smoke at 5:10 PM on May 17, 2010

I have a vegan recipe blog. The link is in my profile.

There are a few ways I have to avoid the kitchen boredom. I like to read non-vegetarian recipes and figure out how I can make them vegetarian. I'm going to make moussaka soon, for example, with lentils instead of meat in the tomato sauce. I'll use something like Cooking Light magazine for ideas (or in the case of the moussaka, a Greek cookbook). Also, sometimes I'll fall in love with an ingredient or combination of ingredients, and see how many ways I can turn it into a recipe. (Thanks to metafilter and metatalk, I've been trying to figure out everything that can be done with sweet potatoes and edamame. Next up, a sweet potato and edamame pot pie!)
posted by zinfandel at 5:20 PM on May 17, 2010

I recently started making paneer and thus making saag paneer and other related dishes at home; so much easier than I ever thought. Paneer is easy to make - uses milk+buttermilk or milk+lemon juice, and cheesecloth; easy recipes online. Also check out Manjula's Kitchen for how-to videos about making Indian food.
posted by LobsterMitten at 6:45 PM on May 17, 2010

there's tons of recipies to be found in livejournal's vegan cooking community and they're tagged to make it easy to find what you're interested in. I get lots of ideas from there
posted by 5_13_23_42_69_666 at 7:59 PM on May 17, 2010

Sorry my post got eaten by the html monster. Thats supposed to read "Be amazed at the lack of pans to clean and the less than $3 price tag."
posted by fontophilic at 8:25 PM on May 17, 2010

« Older How do I make this thing? (video-editing mystery)   |   Filtering an Excel Spreadsheet Newer »