cover me

Where's a good BRICKS & MORTAR place to buy a nice vinyl tablecloth in central CT?

My mom wants a new vinyl tablecloth (probably flannel-backed) for camping. I'm flying to see her in a few days and I owe her a Mother's Day present. I want to get her one and must do it on the ground, rather than order online. I'd like something of decent quality, bright and cheery (solid or non-obnoxious print).

Where's the best place to do this? I am in eastern/central CT and will be shopping around the Manchester area tonight, but references of nationwide chains from out-of-state folk are fine. Bed Bath & Beyond is a possibility but I'm kind of underwhelmed by their online listings.

The real pipperoo is the fact that some of the stores that I think would be the best bet (Xmas Tree Shops, HomeGoods) don't have online listings, so I can't check without driving all over kingdom come and hopping in and out of my car. Does anyone have direct experience with them?
posted by dlugoczaj to Shopping (13 answers total)

I don't know, but you can also call these places and ask them what they carry -- you won't actually be able to see the stock, but they can at least let you know if there are options or not.
posted by brainmouse at 10:58 AM on May 13, 2010

I buy them at both Target and Walmart (stripes/solids/floral). They are flannel backed and last me a whole summer of outdoor picnic table use each year.
posted by maxg94 at 10:59 AM on May 13, 2010

These are actually somewhat hard to find. The BB&B in my neck of the woods did not have them in store. I ended up finding some at Kmart, but not exactly what I wanted. The other place you might check would be Dollar Store type places.

If you happen to run across any 50's inspired ones (atomic, boomerang patterns, etc) let me know!
posted by kimdog at 11:17 AM on May 13, 2010

I've had good luck finding Tablecloths at Kohl's, and I believe there's one in Manchester.
posted by FreezBoy at 11:24 AM on May 13, 2010

Xmas Tree Shops and Home Goods both often have lots of seasonal stuff like this. I'd go with Xmas Tree first as I think I've seen this type of item there before semi-regularly.
posted by kittyloop at 11:40 AM on May 13, 2010 [1 favorite]

Metaphore in New Haven, CT (a boutique shop selling home goods) has some really fancy vinyl tablecloths, audaciously priced at around $115 each. Overpriced, but suitable for a Mother'd Day present for sure.
posted by ms.codex at 12:06 PM on May 13, 2010

Oops, typo. That's Mother's Day-- Mother'd Day indeed.
posted by ms.codex at 12:07 PM on May 13, 2010

When I still lived in RI, Xmas Tree Shops would've been my 1st stop for something like that, or Ocean State Job Lot (not sure if they have them in CT). Job Lot can be hit or miss, but they often get some nice stuff and the prices are always right. Homegoods is nice too, but from what I remember most of the tablecloths they carried were cloth, and their vinyl selection was limited.
posted by cottonswab at 12:15 PM on May 13, 2010

I tried Ocean State a couple days ago, since I got a cute one there a few years ago. They had some, but I didn't like any of their prints (except for the same one I bought for us--but my parents are not as into chili peppers as my husband is, so that didn't seem quite appropriate).

I'm definitely trying Xmas Tree Shops.

I would not be spending $115 on an heirloom lace tablecloth, let alone a vinyl one for camping! My mother would skin me alive, Mother's Day or not.
posted by dlugoczaj at 12:32 PM on May 13, 2010

Probably in New Haven... or up the Miracle Mile in Hamden...?
posted by Guy_Inamonkeysuit at 12:42 PM on May 13, 2010

I have had good luck with this sort of thing at Bed Bath & Beyond, FWIW.
posted by leahwrenn at 1:24 PM on May 13, 2010

If you have access to a KMart, they carry the Martha Stewart line of home goods, and I've always been happy with the quality and design of their/her vinyl tablecloths. The last one I bought was about $20 and it's lasted for a year.
posted by amyms at 2:37 PM on May 13, 2010

Xmas Tree Shops FTW. They had so many I had a hard time choosing, and ended up buying one for our porch and one for our camping kit as well as the one for my mom.

Then I bought napkins to go with it at Bed Bath & Beyond (and looked at their tablecloth selection--I was right to do Xmas Tree first).

Thanks all!
posted by dlugoczaj at 8:02 PM on May 13, 2010

« Older Multicolumn Google Results   |   Brooklyn, get in mah belly! Newer »