Help me set up a facebook fan page that is NOT tied to me.

How do I create Facebook fan pages that are NOT linked to my personal account?

I've been asked to create and manage fan pages for several local businesses. I would like to manage all of these pages but I would like them to NOT be tied to my personal account. My understanding is that you can create a business account that only manages fan pages but they only let you do that if you don't have a personal account and if they find out then they can (and probably won't) shut you down entirely. I can't risk that.

Is it something that is seen externally to any of my friends or the businesses fans that I am listed (personally) as the administrator? I would like to remain relatively invisible in that way. How do I set this up?
posted by Thrillhouse to Computers & Internet (8 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

You can't see who the administrator of a fan page is. Just create them using your personal account - nobody who is viewing the pages will know who made them.

(note that this is different than a group that has named creators and administrators)
posted by davey_darling at 11:40 AM on May 4, 2010

You'll be invisible. I'm not even a fan of the fan pages I administer. When I post to a fan page wall, I appear as the page posting to its own wall.
posted by mcwetboy at 11:43 AM on May 4, 2010

You'll be invisible (I'm the administrator for pages for my job). Just don't be the first person to "Like" the page, as that's frequently a way to figure out who created it, if someone's really willing to put the time in.
posted by peanut_mcgillicuty at 11:55 AM on May 4, 2010

You will be invisible, but it's worth noting that once you create a fan page you can never be removed as the administrator. Found this out the hard way.
posted by FlamingBore at 12:53 PM on May 4, 2010

You can definitely maintain separate business and personal accounts - I've actually been asked to do so by Facebook in the past, and turned them down (don't want to be fussing with separate logins).
posted by awesomebrad at 1:20 PM on May 4, 2010

Response by poster: Awesome! Thanks everyone!
posted by Thrillhouse at 1:29 PM on May 4, 2010

awesomebrad, Facebook will delete both your accounts if they find out you have more than one. Also, if you create a business account they will do everything in their power to force you to "upgrade" it to a full personal account.

http://www.facebook.com/help/?page=721
posted by vsync at 7:45 PM on May 4, 2010

I'll lead the elephant into the room and quietly mention that no one can tell who the administrators are today. Given Facebook's long track record of making huge changes in privacy without notice, that could change when you least expect it.

('Course that doesn't stop me from running my own fan page.)
posted by Ookseer at 10:58 PM on May 4, 2010 [2 favorites]

« Older Closet component system similar to Ikea Stolmen?   |   Make Vox work or recommend a new site? Newer »