Need heavy guitar intros for ringtones \m/

Looking for a short & sweet hard rock / punk / metal guitar intro to use as ringtone. Bonus points for non-4/4 time.

I'd like to try something new instead of the typical stock / pop songs / cutesypoo ringtones.

posted by querty to Media & Arts (31 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

The opening from Green Day's "Brain Stew" makes for one good wake-up ringtone. Another opening that I've used is Supergrass' "Diamond Hoo Ha Man".

Listen to a lot of older rock as it tends to be "cleaner", identify a good riff that stands alone (i.e. no drums etc) and cut that bit of the mp3 using Audacity. Once you have the tune, then tweak the start/end points such that a continuous loop doesn't sound disjointed or broken.

Beyond that, there's lots of guides for your particular phone regarding how to set an mp3 or sound file as a ringtone.

If you use iTunes, look at the auto-generated playlist "Top 25 Most Played" to get a sense of what you are listening to.

Good Luck!
posted by Danaid at 1:02 AM on May 4, 2010

Drive Like Jehu's "Caress" is mostly in 7/8, and very loud. The riff that leads into the chorus should work.

Blue Meanies, "Smash the Magnavox"--the intro riff comes back a little more heavily after the bridge, if the first appearance isn't loud enough.

NoMeansNo, "It's Catching Up"--okay, this one's 4/4, but there are some heavily syncopated parts, and it's nice and menacing.
posted by equalpants at 1:10 AM on May 4, 2010 [2 favorites]

Gang of Four - Damaged Goods. I did as Danald suggested and used garageband to cut it down to the intro riff alone. Works a treat on my iphone.
posted by tim_in_oz at 1:21 AM on May 4, 2010

AC/DC Back in Black (from 0:07 to 0:17, on repeat, makes a great ringtone or message notification)
posted by amyms at 1:23 AM on May 4, 2010 [1 favorite]

who needs punk, rock or metal when you've got the ventures
posted by ouke at 1:28 AM on May 4, 2010

Also AC/DC You Shook Me All Night Long (from 0:00 to 0:16).

There's also Hell's Bells and Highway to Hell for good ringtone-adaptable intros. Clearly AC/DC should just start remarketing themselves as a ringtone band.
posted by amyms at 1:29 AM on May 4, 2010 [1 favorite]

If you want to go in a crunchy punk vein, with the added meta goodness of it being a phone reference, there's always Blondie's Call Me.
posted by amyms at 1:35 AM on May 4, 2010

Ash - Lose Control (I think they did two different songs with the same title, the one you want is from the album 1977).
posted by EndsOfInvention at 3:09 AM on May 4, 2010

I had the intro of The Sweat Descends by Les Savy Fav as my ringtone for a while.
posted by burnmp3s at 3:34 AM on May 4, 2010

Pretty much anything by Agent Orange would work, I think. I used to have Pipeline as a ringtone for ages. No Such Thing is similarly awesome.
posted by elizardbits at 4:02 AM on May 4, 2010

The two sections of the guitar intro to Gun Fury by the Damned might work. The song is in 5/4; I can't quite tell if the intro is as well.
posted by Devoidoid at 4:16 AM on May 4, 2010

Nemesis by Arch Enemy - the first 5-10 seconds or so
posted by mukade at 5:09 AM on May 4, 2010

Forgot the link!
posted by mukade at 5:25 AM on May 4, 2010

The primary, staccato riff (not the intro) from Helmet's In The Meantime fits the bill.

Oh, and for non-4/4, there's always Meshuggah's New Millenium Cyanide Christ.
posted by googly at 6:15 AM on May 4, 2010

First few bass measures of Fugazi's Waiting Room!
posted by contessa at 6:51 AM on May 4, 2010 [1 favorite]

I'm gonna go ahead and suggest some Gentle Giant.
posted by Sys Rq at 7:03 AM on May 4, 2010

from about 0:35 to about 1:03 of Big Black - Kerosene
posted by namewithoutwords at 7:23 AM on May 4, 2010

The intro riif to Ted Nugent's Stranglehold is one of the best ever.
posted by rocket88 at 7:27 AM on May 4, 2010

The opening riff of Dream Theater's Beyond This Life is in 5/4. It's heavy and simple enough for a ringtone, at least until the 15/8 + 20/8 part starts 20 seconds in.

There are also great riffs at the beginning of The Glass Prison and The Mirror. The Mirror is pretty cool: it's 4/4, but the drumming makes it anything but a simple four on the floor. Check it out to see what I mean.
posted by Khalad at 7:28 AM on May 4, 2010

Opening of Nobody Weird Like Me is pretty awesome.
posted by zephyr_words at 8:04 AM on May 4, 2010 [1 favorite]

Two particular Dead Kennedys songs stick out as opening with a bang - Police Truck and Too Drunk To Fuck. Police truck has the added advantage of a two-level opening (slapback guitar, then the full band).
posted by dirtdirt at 8:19 AM on May 4, 2010

Black Flag - Your Last Affront

It's instrumental, and it's in 3/4-3/4-4/4-5/4 (basically just 3/4, only, like, not).
posted by Sys Rq at 8:40 AM on May 4, 2010

Slayer - Expendable Youth
posted by puritycontrol at 8:57 AM on May 4, 2010

Speaking of the Dead Kennedys, the intro to Government Flu is great.

The intro to Black Flag's Rise Above is also pretty rockin', but if you're going with Black Flag, I simply do not know of an intro more fantastic than Nervous Breakdown. (I may be biased as I cite that song as being personally life-changing.)
posted by Pope Guilty at 9:46 AM on May 4, 2010

Some things I might pick the intro of, since I'd be looking for similar ringtones. I think the intros of these could be looped easily.
War, Wisdom and Rhyme by Baroness
Behemoth by Electric Wizard
Crack the Skye by Mastodon
Bar-X-The Rocking M by the Melvins
Heir Apparent by Opeth
Drought by Pelican
Dragonaut by Sleep
How Dark We Pray by High on Fire
posted by disaster77 at 10:32 AM on May 4, 2010

Oh, and the introductory chords to Shut Me Up by Mindless Self-Indulgence is pretty great, too.
posted by Pope Guilty at 11:19 AM on May 4, 2010

I would recommend something by Buckethead, although his solos are generally better than intros. One intro that I think of off the top of my head is King James. I think Jordan and Nottingham Lace also might work, and it might be worth listening to (IMO) some of his best albums: Pepper's Ghost, Albino Slug, and Decoding the Tomb of Bansheebot.
posted by N2O1138 at 8:25 PM on May 4, 2010

How can you mention Mastodon without mentioning Blood and Thunder?
posted by adamdschneider at 8:58 PM on May 4, 2010

Oh, and Freya by The Sword starts with three separate sweet riffs before the vocals come in.
posted by adamdschneider at 9:11 PM on May 4, 2010

Hmm proggy had rock ringtone. My suggestions:
first few seconds of Limelight by Rush, if you don't mind being a dork
or the mighty Into the Void riff by Sabbath.
posted by chaff at 11:24 PM on May 4, 2010

« Older Where can I find these great pants?   |   Need a fix for floury chowder Newer »