How now brown cow?

I need tips and tricks to get the most out of my new raw milk supply.

I'll be purchasing my first gallon of raw milk on Tuesday at a local farmers market. I need to know the little tips, tricks, and hints to make the most of this (expensive!) product. Any advice would be appreciated.
posted by raisingsand to Food & Drink (4 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

I used to have a pretty steady supply of raw milk - it's great.

Usually you have to shake pretty well, since it's not homogenized. It also starts to sour pretty quickly - if I didn't finish my 1/2 gallon in under a week or so it went to the chickens.
posted by pilibeen at 1:25 PM on May 2, 2010

Mozzarella cheese! It's so easy, and eating fresh, warm cheese drizzled with a little olive oil is fabulous. Seriously, it takes about 30 minutes from start to finish.

We got this kit and now we amaze our friends at dinner parties.
posted by spikeleemajortomdickandharryconnickjrmints at 2:00 PM on May 2, 2010

If you are the type to go through that gallon slowly (i.e. longer than a week to finish), look into making yogurt or kefir or something similar with part of it. Cultured milk products seem to stay good longer than uncultured milk.
posted by Knicke at 3:48 PM on May 2, 2010

Seconding both that it will turn fairly quickly and the culturing plan. Your options there include yogurt, buttermilk, clabbered cottage cheese, and kefir. None of them require heating the milk up enough to kill off the beneficial bacteria (which I assume you want based on the fact that you're buying raw).

If the milk does sour, it makes fantasic baked goods including pancakes, muffins, biscuits and cornbread. The sourness of the milk reacts with baking powder to make them nice and light.
posted by cali at 7:56 PM on May 2, 2010 [1 favorite]

« Older Which laptop should my friend get?   |   What is it I'm looking for? Newer »