Firefox: Move This, This, This & This Tab to New Window? (Alternatively, Merging Bookmark Folders?)

Looking for two Firefox abilities: is there a Firefox extension that lets you select multiple tabs and move them to a new window with one action? And is there a Firefox extension that lets you merge bookmark folders?

(1)
When I have a lot of tabs open, I find it useful sometimes to move them by subject area to a new window. "Ah, these five tabs have to do with Subject A." "But these six tabs have to do with Subject B." "Oh, and I don't want to forget this, so new window for it."

I'm aware that you can do "Move to New Window" (which I think is from Tab Mix Plus, but might also just be natural Firefox), but that will move just one tab -- and then, yes, you could individually drag and drop tabs into the new window.

But it'd save a lot of effort to be able to just go "this, this, this and this tab go to Window A; this, this, this and this tab go to Window B", et cetera.

(2)
When I have a batch of bookmarked tabs open I'm not going to get to, I will save the window as a bookmark folder ("Bookmark All Tabs") and get to it some other day. Problem is that I end up with umpteen million tab folders. I'd love to just highlight them all, pick "Merge", and have them end up as one folder. Not as one folder with subfolders in it -- but as one 'flattened' folder, so to speak.

Any idea if either functionality exists as a Firefox extension? (If not, any talented Mefi programmers excited enough by either idea to want to take a whack at it?)
posted by WCityMike to Computers & Internet (4 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Looks like this will do the tab thing.

I don't have any suggestions on the bookmarks thing though.
posted by dolface at 2:43 PM on April 30, 2010

For (2), if you click on Bookmarks>Organise Bookmarks, an er, applet(?) pops up, called Library. If you click on the folder whose contents you want to move in the left pane, the actual contents show up in the right. Click any one of them so it's selected, then CTL-A to select 'em all. Now you can cut/copy them and paste them into the new folder. Only slightly more laborious than it would be if it were automatically handled by a plugin. Works for me. (I do the "Last Session" folder thing too.) HTH.
posted by blue funk at 5:06 PM on April 30, 2010

For question #1, try Firefox Showcase or, yeah, Multiple Tab Handler. I use both. The latter is probably more useful for most folks unless you need to simultaneously skim through thumbnails of your eleventy-hundred open tabs.
posted by hat at 9:31 PM on April 30, 2010

blue funk: Click any one of them so it's selected, then CTL-A to select 'em all. Now you can cut/copy them and paste them into the new folder. Only slightly more laborious

Actually, that's exactly the set of steps I'm looking to bypass with #2. I find it laborious, especially when one has to repeat it for 10+ folders, which is not uncommon with me.
posted by WCityMike at 12:52 AM on May 1, 2010

« Older Old software never dies. But it does loose support...   |   Looking for an interfaith rabbi in Denver Newer »