Duplicate the experience, duplicate the machinery?

Thinking about ditching cable. I have alot of questions, but here's one in particular. Let's say I create/get the ultimate vector for watching Internet content on my TV (let's say I get a Roku box or I get an AcerRevo or something). But I have two TVs. Do I have to make/get two devices? The TVs are in separate rooms and it would be super awkward to string wires between them.

The TVs are in separate rooms and it would be super awkward to string wires between them.

One is a giant monster HD and the other is a more normal sized traditional tv.

We have a wireless network but I haven't had a lot of success in my attempts to make two computers on the same wireless network share with each other. Although I suppose I can learn.

This seems kind of like a dumb question, but I can't find the answer anywhere
posted by amethysts to Computers & Internet (6 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

2 devices, presuming you want to be able to watch 2 different things at once (if you don't and want to be reeeeeaaaaally cheap, depending on the cable TV wiring in your house you could possibly repurpose that to send a crappy composite signal from your one device to the old tv while using the main hdmi out for the good tv, but this is really not a good way to do it for lots of reasons.) I recommend using an old xbox with xbmc installed for the old tv, and the magic spendy box of your choice in the main room.
posted by contraption at 5:45 PM on April 23, 2010

I can't speak to Roku or Tivo, but yes you will need wires to get from device A to TVs A and B.

I know that MythTV actually supports your problem with a 'frontend' and a 'backend'. The frontend just displays video and whatnot, while the backend handles permenant data storage. This means owning two computers.

As far as wiring up the home, you already have wires in the house: coax. This is what our ATT Uverse uses to connect the set top boxes around the house with the internet and the home DVR. It's quite clever really. But wireless is not a panacea here -- it's throughput is dismal and gets worse with multiple clients.
posted by pwnguin at 5:50 PM on April 23, 2010

As far as I can tell from my Roku box, you'd need two for two tvs. However, Roku boxes are tiny, light, and very easily hooked up. I just use mine on my main tv, but I know people who regularly switch them around between tvs and it takes less than a minute to unhook and reattach. Since they typically get to the internet via your wireless, there aren't a lot of connections to make.
posted by donnagirl at 7:45 PM on April 23, 2010

If you have an old laptop or conputer you can sinply hook this up to your TV and watch Hulu or Anazon downloads - I do this - I don't niss cable - sorry for all the n's - ny keyboard is broken :-)
posted by xammerboy at 10:06 PM on April 23, 2010

K good information, thanks. I don't have anything I can re-purpose so it looks like I'm going to have to buy two things... toting things between tvs is one of those things I can predict pretty well isn't going to happen..i'm way too lazy for that and for complicated coax wiring hacking projects. Thanks all.
posted by amethysts at 10:18 PM on April 23, 2010

Why don't you just buy a second set of cables and power cords? Keep the cables hooked up at both tv locations and it would be a quick 5 second job to reattach them.
posted by Redmond Cooper at 11:43 PM on April 23, 2010

« Older Help me replace OnStar with a GPS   |   Checked baggage fees on domestic flights for... Newer »