Order tracking/CMS for custom business?

How would you go about creating a CMS-like system for a business that does (low volume) custom work to a buyer's specifications?

The desired end result is a web application that allows customers to sign in and observe the status of their order(s). Additional desired functionality would include email updates upon status change, attaching pictures to a project for a user to view, and probably more things I can't think of right now. Think along the lines of a custom jeweler, small shop, etc.
posted by entropic to Computers & Internet (5 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

I would never create a CMS. That would be re-inventing the wheel for no reason. There are many excellent CMSes out there. For instance, Drupal—it's free, it's robust, and it does the things you've specified (plus a lot more when you're ready for it).
posted by bricoleur at 2:06 PM on April 22, 2010

I would never create a CMS. That would be re-inventing the wheel for no reason.

It depends if the CMSes out there have 90% of the features you want, and the 10% can't be done with config changes or mods. That's where rapid-development frameworks like Ruby on Rails, Django and cakePHP come in. Something like a storefront is easily doable in the popular CMSes, though.
posted by holgate at 2:14 PM on April 22, 2010 [1 favorite]

This sounds more like project management software than a simple CMS. I suspect that high-end car manufacturers would use something like this.
posted by Wild_Eep at 2:18 PM on April 22, 2010

I had a good experience with this tutorial in creating my own PHP-based CMS. It makes the process of producing your own custom CMS very easy (perhaps too easy).
posted by peetle at 6:40 PM on April 22, 2010

I would never create a CMS.

Sorry, I meant to include that I'd really like to be able to just modify an existing product to accomplish this. I certainly don't have enough experience to go off making something from scratch (although paying a developer to work on this isn't out of the question).
posted by entropic at 7:09 AM on April 23, 2010

« Older Find dead youtube pages?   |   What to expect in a company acquisition? Newer »