What is wrong with my vision and what can be done to correct it?

First off, I know you are not my doctor and all that jazz. I have an appointment with an ophthalmologist next week to have this looked at, but it's bugging me and I'd like to know more about it in the meantime. In low light situations, I see "trails" to the bottom and left of light sources in my left eye only. Everything is normal in my right eye. I also get the same effect to a lesser degree in other high-contrast (light on dark) situations even if there is plenty of light.

Here is an image I made to illustrate what I see when I look at my alarm clock. I first became aware of this about a week ago and it doesn't seem to be worsening or improving, and it happens whether or not I'm wearing my glasses or contacts.

Any ideas?
posted by ElDiabloConQueso to Health & Fitness (6 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

You might have developed an astigmatism. That's just a guess. IANAD.
posted by devinemissk at 12:57 PM on April 21, 2010

I agree. That sounds like astigmatism.
posted by Chocolate Pickle at 1:14 PM on April 21, 2010

Yeah, that seems astigmatic. Good on you for getting it checked out, though, since we can't be definitive. Let us know how it goes!
posted by fairytale of los angeles at 1:19 PM on April 21, 2010

be sure to get checked for keratoconus. i see trails like that (though it is a LOT worse).
posted by Mach5 at 2:12 PM on April 21, 2010

Wow, I kind of thought everybody had vision like that! I have an astigmatism, but never really thought about it before.
posted by platinum at 2:54 PM on April 21, 2010

Thanks everyone. I'll see the doctor next week and find out more, but it sure looks like astigmatism is to blame.
posted by ElDiabloConQueso at 8:11 PM on April 22, 2010

« Older Random audio sample player   |   Web design workflows in 2010? Newer »