Where to eat tonight in Asheville?

Where to eat tonight in Asheville? Not GP Inn, not too exotic.
posted by SallyHitMeOntheHead to Food & Drink (12 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Whenever I'm in Asheville, I stop at Mellow Mushroom for a calzone.
posted by bristolcat at 2:07 PM on April 18, 2010

What is your definition of exotic? Sitting on the floor eating with your hands at an iranian restaurant, or mexican?

Ugh, mellow mushroom sucks! Sorry,

For some of the best carribean: Salsa- FANTASTIC
Tapas: Zambra's
Italian: Savoy- expensive, but one of the best meals I've had
Never had dinner here, but brunch is pretty good: Table
posted by TheBones at 2:13 PM on April 18, 2010

I love Salsa! Every trip to Asheville requires one night there eating something involving pork and mango or chicken and papaya or etc. Zambra's would be my next thought--tapas is very fun and they have a gigantic menu of more or less authentic tapas.
posted by hydropsyche at 2:16 PM on April 18, 2010

Lots of open-air cafes downtown. Early Girl Eatery has good southern food. If you're not downtown, the Lucky Otter has good mexican and a pretty good beer selection if I remember correctly.
posted by Juicy Avenger at 2:27 PM on April 18, 2010 [1 favorite]

Thanks all! Savoy is coming up from several sources, so we're going to try it.
posted by SallyHitMeOntheHead at 2:41 PM on April 18, 2010

Oops. Good luck. Savoy is something else now.
posted by rikschell at 3:53 PM on April 18, 2010

Where ever you go, check out French Broad Chocolate Lounge for dessert. They have lots of desserts, beer/wine, open late and free wi-fi.
posted by mmascolino at 4:26 PM on April 18, 2010

Thirding a recommendation for Salsa on Patton Avenue.
posted by foggy out there now at 4:27 PM on April 18, 2010

nthing Salsa/Zambra, but also Bouchon, which is open Sunday evenings, no reservations, wait for a table. If you were thinking Italian and don't want to try the downscaled ex-Savoy, Cucina24 is downtown.
posted by holgate at 4:43 PM on April 18, 2010

Hey, Barack, I hope you and the family are enjoying Asheville like we did a year and a half ago. We had a good meal at Mela and we recommend that, but Mellow Mushroom managed to screw up orders on two different nights in our pretty short stay, and what they did produce was not good enough to overcome that.
posted by NortonDC at 6:10 PM on April 18, 2010

OMFG I CAN'T BELIEVE SAVOY IS CLOSED!!!!
posted by TheBones at 1:35 PM on April 19, 2010

Yes, Savoy is closed. It's now Vinnie's.
We opted for Bouchon and loved it.

Tonight we need to make another choice, so if anyone out there is still tuning in, please send suggestions.

posted by SallyHitMeOntheHead at 2:32 PM on April 19, 2010

« Older I just need to know which way is up   |   help me stop the sweating, please Newer »