Quick sync for my ipod touch

How do I quickly sync all the application data on my iPod touch? Currently, I have to open every single app, wait for it to finish downloading content and then move onto the next app. As I find more and more cool apps, this is taking longer. Is there a way (possibly by hooking it up to my computer) to issue one command and have every application of mine download new data off the web for offline reading?

When I leave home in the morning, I'd like to load up my email, update the news articles on NYTimes (for offline reading) and my RSS reader, have Mint download all the recent transactions, etc and it's getting annoying. I guess another alternative would be finding a good, combined app that handles email, rss and offline newspaper feeds ...
posted by bsdfish to Technology (3 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

If you don't mind spending some money, buy a MiFi and take your internet connection with you.
posted by Mwongozi at 9:24 AM on April 17, 2010

As far as I'm aware, there's no "force all to update now" command. What you're asking for isn't crazy, but it's not part of the design.

I think it's fair to say that the iTouch is the slightly disabled sibling of the iPhone. The iPhone is designed around the assumption that you'll have a constant network connection, so each app can get the most recent data each time it is launched. Having a batch-mode download would be viewed as a step backwards in that context, since frequently updated sources (like, say, Twitter) would likely have changed between the time that you ran the batch and the time you got around to viewing the content.

This seems to be an underlying assumption in the iPhone OS, and as far as I know, Apple hasn't done anything to help the iTouch compensate with batch-mode downloading.

We may see the situation improve when iPhone OS 4 comes out, since backgrounding will be built into the system, and presumably your backgrounded networked apps will be able to update themselves whenever you get a wifi signal. Then again, I may be misunderstanding how backgrounding will work.
posted by adamrice at 10:28 AM on April 17, 2010

Actually, from all of my reading about the new APIs offered in iPhone OS 4 I don't think this is case, which is really annoying because one of my longest lasting gripes about my iPhone (which I love!) is that I have to remember to update my RSS feeds *before* I get on the subway. Given that they don't have any subways in Cupertino, I think the folks at Apple just have not given much thought to this use case.
posted by dyslexictraveler at 11:54 AM on April 18, 2010 [1 favorite]

« Older looking to track a links origin   |   THINK (not Think Different) Newer »