Hotchitzidee!

What does 'hotchitzidee' and 'three-pocket poocher' mean?

I'm working on the 1920s style musical, the Wild Party by LaChiusa--both terms are used, the first as an exclamation, the second as a description of a man who is a hired date, a moocher.

My google fu has failed to dig up anything further on these terms--it's possible they were invented for the show...but do you know more?
posted by stray to Writing & Language (17 answers total)

"hotchitzidee" might be German parts joint together:
- "hoch", high
- "hitz", fully "Hitze", heat
- "Idee", idea

No idea what it means though. Could be yiddish, too, guessing from the sound of it.
posted by oxit at 8:38 AM on April 17, 2010 [1 favorite]

'three-pocket poocher'

Maybe originated as someone who cheats at pool or is a pool shark? Just a guess.
posted by doctor_negative at 9:14 AM on April 17, 2010

I checked the American Periodical Series, Historical New York Times, Times of London, and American Historical Newspapers databases. Nothing came up for either term as spelled in your play. Except for the NYT and Times, those databases are weak for the 1920s. Maybe someone who has access to something better will come along.
posted by vincele at 9:16 AM on April 17, 2010

It looks like a three-pocket style of suit was typically associated with the country -- the third pocket was used for storing train tickets.
posted by Madamina at 9:17 AM on April 17, 2010

"poocher" seems to be an old-timey way to say 'poacher'.
posted by amicamentis at 9:21 AM on April 17, 2010

Echoing Madamina, try separate google books or historical searches for "three pocket" and "poocher." Poocher pops up often as a nickname (?), and "three pocket" brings up a lot of items.
posted by vincele at 9:21 AM on April 17, 2010

The reference is from 1899, written from the point of view of an Irishman. It's about Irish country life, so..... maybe a poacher who wears the style of suit that Madamina suggested?
posted by amicamentis at 9:22 AM on April 17, 2010

For those that are interested, these are the lyrics in question:

Black is a moocher
And I like it like that
Three-pocket-poocher
And I like it like that
I like him the way that he is…
He is no…innocent
And Christ. He’s guilty where it counts
posted by amicamentis at 9:25 AM on April 17, 2010

Here's the original poem but they don't show up in it. Good read, though.
posted by XMLicious at 9:31 AM on April 17, 2010

A poacher's pocket is an extra large pocket in a jacket, for hiding/keeping dry things like guns and equipment. Could this be related - as a phrase meaning very good at something underhand?
posted by Coobeastie at 9:44 AM on April 17, 2010

And an OED search for hotchitzidee doesn't turn up anything, nearest being 'hotchi-witchi', a Romany word for hedgehog, which is a somewhat unlikely exclamation.
posted by Coobeastie at 9:57 AM on April 17, 2010

maybe 'hotchitzidee' is something like 'hot diggity'? neither makes any sense to me, but I've heard 'hot diggity' before....
posted by Lebannen at 10:28 AM on April 17, 2010

"hot chickadee" (maybe not for a guy) or "hot diggity"?
posted by vickyverky at 11:20 AM on April 17, 2010

It seems to have something in common with Cabcalloway's Minnie the Moocher ("red-hot hoochie-coocher" echoed "three pocket poocher" as well, so could "hotchitzidee"be similar to the hi-dee-hi-dee-ho" scat in that song?
posted by path at 2:42 PM on April 17, 2010

Hmm, I would think hotchitzidee would more appropriately be, "hotsy-totsy".

Three-pocket poocher.
posted by misha at 3:53 PM on April 17, 2010

'three-pocket poocher' is now my favorite term ever, even though I still have no idea what it means.
posted by elder18 at 5:14 PM on April 17, 2010

"hot shit - idzie?
posted by path at 5:20 PM on April 17, 2010

« Older Drumming up 37.5 hrs/wk   |   looking to track a links origin Newer »