Is there a ctrl-Z for disk partitioning?
February 13, 2005 1:31 AM   Subscribe

Um, oops.
So I changed my disk partition a bit, changing my big data drive to a 'logical' partition of the same file-type (without changing the start or endpoint of the partition), and now Windows isn't recognizing it... Is there a good way to undo this horrible thing? The data should definitely still be there - no actual formatting occurred, just a changing of the partition table. Is there a way to undo this?
posted by kaibutsu to Computers & Internet (3 answers total)
You should be okay. Get a copy of Knoppix, it's a live Unix CD. Boot it up and use cfdisk or fdisk, try changing the partition type back. Partition Manager should also be able to fix this, IIRC. Good luck.
posted by brool at 2:02 AM on February 13, 2005

Yes, there's a way, but you need to be very very careful. Read up on rewriting the partition table. Brool's suggestion with Knoppix is one way to do that.
posted by Nelson at 5:26 PM on February 13, 2005

I did the same thing. I called microsoft technical support which did not request a product serial or anything. The technician took remote control of my machine and fixed it.
posted by StickyCarpet at 6:44 PM on February 13, 2005

« Older What is the minimum number of notes in a...   |   Improve My Japanese Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.