NYCFilter: Filled out rental application, now not so sure

NYCFilter: Filled out rental application. Now don't want to continue process. Problem?

I'm looking for a place in NYC for the first time. I filled out a rental application this afternoon on a place. (They charged me for the application as expected.) I went back at night and now I'm not so sure; it felt a bit deserted and sketchy for me. I don't think I want to sign the lease and live there for a year. (They have not told me that they have a lease ready for me to sign yet.)

I'm planning on calling the leasing agent tomorrow and telling him I don't want to continue the process. Will this affect me negatively? What should I do?
posted by anonymous to Grab Bag (6 answers total)

As long as you haven't signed a lease, you're okay. My advice is to skip brokers all together. Look for Rent by Owner, doubly so if you're not looking in Manhattan
posted by GilloD at 9:33 PM on April 7, 2010 [1 favorite]

GilloD is correct. A rental application is NOT a lease, so you have nothing to worry about at all.
posted by HP LaserJet P10006 at 9:38 PM on April 7, 2010

Although this is likely obvious, you aren't going to the application fee back.
posted by saeculorum at 9:44 PM on April 7, 2010

Kiss the fee goodbye but this won't affect anything. You might unofficially be listed, unfairly or not, as "flaky" by the agent, but bah to them. There's plenty of others.
posted by turgid dahlia at 10:42 PM on April 7, 2010

It's no problem -- been there, done that. You won't get the application fee back, but you're under no obligation to sign a lease.
posted by srrh at 11:39 PM on April 7, 2010

Shopping for an apartment is like shopping for anyone else. Would you ask, "I went to the grocery store and looked at the apples. I asked someone working there for help, but then decided I didn't really want their apples anymore. Will this affect me negatively?"

You don't have any apples, but other than that, no.
posted by jrockway at 2:18 AM on April 8, 2010

« Older After previewing, sorry for this being so long!   |   Should we adopt this baby? Newer »