How to get my digital camera to work with my laptop?

Please help, ibook advice needed.

I have an ibook v 2.2, running Mac OS X v. 10.2.8, with a 256 mb memory and processor speed of 700 Mhz.

I have a problem in that I have recently bought a digital camera and would like to transfer images onto my laptop. According to the instruction booklet, the system requirements for this to work are a memory of 516mb and Mac OS X 10.4 - 10.5.
Is it possible to upgrade my present laptop to those requirements?
posted by charlen to Computers & Internet (6 answers total)

Best answer: I realize this isn't really a direct answer, but have you tried just plugging your camera into your laptop anyway? Sometimes it will "just work." Does your camera have a cable that will connect to your computer via USB?
posted by theredpen at 6:36 AM on April 7, 2010

Best answer: I can't imagine why you would need to upgrade to do this. Unless you're running software from the camera maker that sets these requirements.

If you have iPhoto installed, and it is a USB cabled camera, just plug it in and see what happens.

In answer to your question, yes, you should be able to up the memory to 516 and you should be able to load 10.4 on it (finding it will be a bit harder, probably ebay)
posted by HuronBob at 6:41 AM on April 7, 2010

I'd second plugging it and not worrying about it. You can also try using a card reader and skip plugging in the camera at all. There's no reason why it shouldn't work well. I wouldn't try upgrading the iBook if it was working well right now.
posted by advicepig at 6:59 AM on April 7, 2010

512 MB DIMM for a white iBook G3.
posted by Blazecock Pileon at 7:11 AM on April 7, 2010

Thirding plugging it in. Even if your macbook only has a USB 1.0 port, it should work.
posted by zarq at 7:35 AM on April 7, 2010

Response by poster: Thank you for your contributions. I have just plugged it in and it works fine. Thanks again.
posted by charlen at 10:13 AM on April 7, 2010

« Older Make computer run faster   |   How do I show someone a good time in DC on a... Newer »