How can I organize my life with a mac.

I have little pieces of paper everywhere with thoughts/quotes/ideas. I have word documents with checklists, lessons learned, more thoughts, more quotes. Whats the best free software to make all of this organized and search-able? (tag's are great!)

I have tried Evernote. Its close to what I'm looking for but the printing options are limiting (ie, one note to a page, cant just print everything under a tag or subject), plus I can't use the desktop version on osx tiger so I'm worried about not really being able to back things up. I know similar questions have been asked before, but whats new and improved?
posted by shimmer to Computers & Internet (9 answers total) 16 users marked this as a favorite

Google Documents!
It's searchable, free, accessible from anywhere, and tag-able. you can do spreadsheets, documents, etc.
I love it, it has saved many trees.
posted by treehorn+bunny at 1:37 PM on April 3, 2010

I've used Evernote for free, and it's got a nice iPhone app to boot.
posted by smersh at 2:02 PM on April 3, 2010 [2 favorites]

Evernote is designed just for this.
posted by special-k at 3:42 PM on April 3, 2010 [2 favorites]

For bigger projects, I like DEVONthink Pro to collect and organize the miscellany of information I end up acquiring. It's not free, but I found it so useful I bought it even over the availability of free options (e.g. Evernote).

For smaller notes, Notational Velocity is great–easy to use, awesome incremental search. This one is open-source.
posted by james.nvc at 4:00 PM on April 3, 2010

Notational Velocity + SimpleNote on the iPhone

The synchronisation between the two is brilliant. I moved primarily because I can't stand the Evernote iPhone app.
posted by Hates_ at 4:22 PM on April 3, 2010

I like OneNote for this.
posted by Gerard Sorme at 6:20 PM on April 3, 2010

Try a desktop wiki software (google for free desktop wiki) or tiddlywiki?
posted by iNfo.Pump at 6:36 PM on April 3, 2010

I'm thirding Evernote; I have the iPhone version as well and have found that it's finally enabled me to have some more of the PDA-like qualities that I was missing since my old Palm Pilot bit the dust.

I use it to keep track of a multitude of tid-bits of information, selections from webpages, PDFs, images, shopping lists, to do lists, etc.

I can access Evernote from my laptop, from the web, or from my iPhone and they all synchronize together -- so pretty well anywhere... And best of all, they have a free version, and you can upgrade if you need more room.

One trick I learned for the iPhone version; make sure to "star" or "favourite" your notes, so that you can access them offline at anytime. This is great if you are in an area of little to no cell coverage, or if you don't want to use your data plan to access your info all the time. It's a little known feature that most people pay premium to have access to "off-line" access.
posted by Jade Dragon at 8:16 AM on April 4, 2010

Possibly OMNIFocus?
posted by retronic at 11:31 PM on April 4, 2010

« Older Gardening in advance   |   Planning an all-herb garden Newer »