Honestly, I'm not that lazy.

Google Maps' trip planner doesn't want me to walk anywhere. Are there any sites that will let me adjust the amount of walking allowed?

So I've been using Google Maps to plot trips around Chicago. But I've noticed that it really, really doesn't want me to walk, to the point of putting me on a 45-50 minute bus/red-line trip rather than tell me to walk five minutes to the Metra for a 20 minute ride downtown.

Are there any good trip-planner sites, Chicago-specific or not, that will let me adjust the amount of walking I'm willing to do? Or is there some kind of adjustment to GMaps that will let me do this?
posted by PMdixon to Travel & Transportation (8 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

HopStop does Chicago, and you can indicate whether you want to do more walking or more riding, and you can also choose bus, subway or both. I've found it pretty good for NYC.
posted by kimdog at 6:25 AM on April 1, 2010 [1 favorite]

There are a couple different trip planners listed on this Chicago Transit page that include options for adjusting walking distance.
posted by spinto at 7:08 AM on April 1, 2010

The TFL website for London (which covers the tube, buses, trams, DLR, river taxis and cycle routes) has the following advanced route search options:
I don't want to walk for longer than __ minutes
My walking speed is: slow/average/fast
[_] I'd rather walk if it makes my journey quicker

posted by EndsOfInvention at 7:19 AM on April 1, 2010

Fill out a problem report to Google and tell them what it is you want to do. They can't make adjustments to their software unless you let them know why it is wrong for you.

From any map you can right click and select the last option ("Report a problem"). It only takes a minute to fill out a report.
posted by Doohickie at 8:11 AM on April 1, 2010

I just tried HopStop for San Francisco. I asked it to route me from my home in San Jose to downtown San Francisco. It gave good directions for taking a bus to the Caltrain station, but here are the directions for transferring from Caltrain to BART in Milbrae, where both trains come into the SAME station and all you need to do is change platforms to continue your trip. Instead, HopStop says you need to:

Get off at Millbrae

5.0
Exit near Linden Ave 2.0

5 min walk
Start out going South on Linden Ave towards California Dr 0.1
Turn left onto California Dr 0.8
Turn left onto E Millbrae Ave 3.3
Turn left onto N Rollins Rd 1.0
Entrance near intersection of N Rollins Rd and Camino Milenia 2.0

Take the Richmond Line from Millbrae station heading to Richmond
posted by jcdill at 8:39 AM on April 1, 2010

Best answer: PMdixon: Are there any good trip-planner sites, Chicago-specific or not, that will let me adjust the amount of walking I'm willing to do? Or is there some kind of adjustment to GMaps that will let me do this?

Yes, the RTA Trip Planner will do this (it allows you to choose between ¼, ½, ¾ and a mile's walk), and includes the CTA. I wrote this Greasemonkey userscript to allow you to set defaults.
posted by WCityMike at 11:53 AM on April 1, 2010

You probably know this already, but the RTA is the parent agency to the CTA, so its site can be considered definitive.
posted by WCityMike at 11:57 AM on April 1, 2010

Response by poster: And the RTA site correctly tells me to take the Metra downtown (even if they do want me to then get on a bus the five blocks to my final destination). Huzzah.

(Hotspot may have explained the Google weirdness: Hotspot, and possibly GMaps, only know about one entrance to the station, which is two blocks further.)
posted by PMdixon at 12:15 PM on April 1, 2010

« Older Express Myself In Another Language   |   What is the best website to conduct a fast... Newer »