Lost: A Favorite Song

I am unable to find a song that I once had on my iPod. It's a post-rock number. Although there are no lyrics (that I recall, anyway), there is an extended sample (I don't know from where) of a guy talking about a hot night when the power went out in his apartment complex. He talks about a woman who lit candles, and somehow in the end this leads to an apartment fire. The song feels like the soundtrack to a dream. My memory is not 100% on these details. It's been well over a year since I heard it. But the song was really good and I think about it now and then and I really miss having it. Anyone recognize it?
posted by Moody834 to Media & Arts (4 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

OK, I'm assuming we can rule out Keren Ann's "Song of Alice" (off Nolita). Sounds like it might utilize the same sample, though.
posted by Sonny Jim at 3:51 AM on March 28, 2010

Let me be the first to take a wild stab at Godspeed. But it doesn't ring a bell.
posted by Beardman at 8:17 AM on March 28, 2010

OMG!!!! It was Keren Ann's "Song for Alice"…. Oh, goodness, thank you Sonny Jim. Thank you. That has been driving me crazy for ages. I knew I was not remembering it correctly because it had just been too long. But you nailed it for me.

Thank you. I love this song.
posted by Moody834 at 12:49 PM on March 28, 2010

Yay! Glad to help out. I got a bit thrown by your "post-rock" description (Keren Ann? Post rock?), but, yeah, it's a great song.
posted by Sonny Jim at 1:10 PM on March 28, 2010

« Older Making the Web Seem Like...A Web   |   Government accrual accounting Newer »