Canadian navy records from 1943

Genealogy and local history filter: Canadian army circa 1943: Where can I find information about my Dad? The family story goes that in 1942/43 my Dad learned that he was about to be drafted (into the army). So he joined the navy. Then I was born (October 1944). Then he was sent to Montreal and my mother and I followed him. Then we returned to Toronto. Is there anywhere in Canadian army records that I can confirm this information?

Did men really get an advance warning about being drafted? My Dad was 36 years old in 1943. Did 36-year-old men really get drafted in 1943? He was a skilled cabinetmaker making wings for Mosquito bombers. Would he really have been taken off this kind of a job (sounds pretty important to me) in 1943 to be sent to Montreal to make furniture for naval officers?

Any help would be appreciated.
posted by feelinggood to Grab Bag (4 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

You can start here, Library and Archives Canada, which provides information on how to retrieve service records.
posted by BozoBurgerBonanza at 8:02 AM on March 22, 2010

Conscription for WWII wasn't enacted in Canada until late 1944, though there was a plebiscite on it in 1942, which passed. It could be the plebiscite results were what triggered his (apparently misguided) reaction.
posted by cardboard at 8:06 AM on March 22, 2010

Another good starting point for Canadian research is the federated search engine That's My Family / Voici Ma Famille that the Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec (BAnQ) operates as a separate website.
posted by kuppajava at 8:18 AM on March 22, 2010

My husband's family are not Canadian, but his U.S. born great-grandfather was drafted at age 38 in 1943.
posted by annathea at 10:33 AM on March 22, 2010

« Older Hey London -- I have a pony request!   |   Help me come up with ways to make my meal plan... Newer »