Switching it up

How can I convert a video into a powerpoint?

Okay, I know that everyone asks how to convert a powerpoint into a video, but today I'm asking the opposite.

I have a .flv video that is simply a bunch of powerpoint slides one after another. Set to music. I want to turn this into a powerpoint that people can flick through at their own pace.

What's the easiest way for me to go about this? The video is some 150 slides with a whole lot of text... so, while typing it up is an option, it's my lazy self's very last resort. No, I don't have access to the original powerpoint.

An extra request, if you say "convert from X to Y, and then do Z" can you please mention what software you would use?
posted by Suciu to Computers & Internet (4 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

You can use ffmpeg to convert video to a sequence of images.

From the command line, you'd use something like:

ffmpeg -i myvideofile.flv -an -r 1 -s 640x480 video%d.jpg

-an = disable audio
-r = frame rate
-s = output image dimensions

Then you can pick out the images you want for your powerpoint from the sequence.
Note: I'm not sure what relevance, if any, the -r frame rate has to the output of jpegs.

Of course, you're likely to end up with a fairly pixelly-looking powerpoint if the video dimensions are anything like those of a typical flv.
posted by le morte de bea arthur at 2:48 AM on March 19, 2010 [1 favorite]

This is going to be a pain in the ass for you almost no matter what, so much so that you might consider literally screen shotting your way through it by using Print Screen or the Snipping Tool in Vista/7. You can also use an FLV player outright to have slightly more control over the playback of the file, but at the end of the day, you're looking to convert the component images into slides with screenshots on them, and no software is going to be able to do that for you.

It's real important to note that simply embedding screenshots does not make for a particularly useful Powerpoint, since none of the content will be text and the quality may degrade based on how you handle the saving of the images or, heaven forbid, if you try to paste the screenshot right into PowerPoint.
posted by disillusioned at 2:50 AM on March 19, 2010

(I should've added the "intelligently" caveat to my "no software can do this for you", as I've used ffmpeg a whole lot and it definitely can do what le morte suggests, but I think making an assumption that all the slides will be timed perfectly, AND that you are willing to deal with ffmpeg is a bit much.)
posted by disillusioned at 2:52 AM on March 19, 2010

disillusioned: as long as the frames are on the screen longer then 1 second, it should be OK. If not, Suciu can boost the framerate. If there are animations, etc, it could be a pain.

Another option would be some screencap software that will dump an image to a file every time you press PrintScreen or some other key command. Using printscreen copy + paste would be a huge pain, but if you use something that dumps cropped PNGs all you need to do is hit a key for every image you want.

I've used software like that before, but that was on another machine and I don't remember what it was called.
posted by delmoi at 3:46 AM on March 19, 2010

« Older Cause vs Effect   |   Urine my powder, grossing me out. Newer »