Job role
March 17, 2010 11:24 PM   Subscribe

Could use some help finding an appropriate job title

Helping a roommate/friend who is starting his own painting/contracting business.

I've set-up a website, got him business cards, offered advice. On a handshake agreement, we're business partners.

At the moment my job appears to be:
- sanity-check consultant, based on my own knowledge of the trade
- researcher for things neither one of us knows off-hand
- website developer, maintainer
- administrative (estimate and invoice forms, etc)

So, lets say I got a business card for myself (besides the ones I have for my own incorporated business), what would be a suitable professional job title? Jack of all trades won't work. Thanks.
posted by hungrysquirrels to Grab Bag (5 answers total)

Project manager?
posted by malibustacey9999 at 11:44 PM on March 17, 2010

project manager? coordinator?
posted by SeƱor Pantalones at 11:45 PM on March 17, 2010

Hmm, actually melding the two, Project Coordinator might work.
posted by hungrysquirrels at 11:57 PM on March 17, 2010

Keep in mind that if you ever plan to reference this job and use that title in future job-seeking, "Project Coordinator" has specific project management attributes that employers may assume you have. My company's IT dept. had 2 persons with this job title, and their jobs pretty much fit this description:

"Works with internal and external parties to organize the various components needed to initiate, run and conclude major projects. Duties include coordinating schedules and activities, placing orders for supplies and services, and tracking progress and results. Requires excellent communication skills and extensive knowledge of database and project management software. Often reports to product development, project management or marketing executives."

Just saying- perhaps be wary of attaching a convenient pre-existing title to a set of varied responsibilities if that title already has a generally accepted definition in the workplace that is fairly specific.
posted by I_Love_Bananas at 4:59 AM on March 18, 2010 [1 favorite]

No worries there, I have those skills. I checked-out several job descriptions before posting that comment. Project Coordinator still seems to be the best fit. Thanks for replying though.
posted by hungrysquirrels at 6:17 AM on March 18, 2010

« Older "Wait, what? How many pigeons?"   |   What to do with a large cash windfall? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.