Helping colleages beat the effects of Globalisation... and stop them getting made redundant

How do my co-workers stand when current management are standing in the way of them transferring from a job at risk of redundancy to another that isn't... in a different department... because the offshore people taking up the original work aren't up to the job?

I work for one of the big global IT companies (which one doesn't matter) in the UK. Our immediate manager has informed them that some of them are having their jobs sent abroad and - as a result - will need to seek alternative employment, either within our outside of the company.

Our department sells their services to another department within the company and the other department are dragging their heels in signing off the knowledge transfer to the foreign workers as they simply are not up to the job. This is now putting the other jobs within the company that my co-workers have managed to get in jepoardy as the current department are refusing to release them to take up new positions until the KT is complete to a satisfactory level, and holding them in jobs that they know will be made redundant when the KT is complete.

How do they stand, employment law wise? They have all successfully interviewed and been offered jobs elsewhere within the company but are days away from being told that they are going to be at risk of redundancy and starting their 30 day consultation period.
posted by Mrevilbreakfast to Work & Money (4 answers total)

Have you spoken to the company's HR department?
posted by I_pity_the_fool at 4:25 AM on March 16, 2010

Response by poster: I've recommended that they do that if there's no joy, yes.
posted by Mrevilbreakfast at 5:34 AM on March 16, 2010

Seems like they might want to speak with an employment lawyer as well. [I'm not in the U.K., but in the U.S., HR is all about protecting the company first and foremost -- they are not employee advocates.]
posted by elmay at 6:44 AM on March 16, 2010

IANYL or your colleagues' lawyer, but are your colleagues generally aware of their rights under TUPE? Those are the rights that will protect them.
posted by iknowizbirfmark at 11:54 AM on March 16, 2010

« Older Is there a good Chiptunes 101/For Dummies out...   |   Shared ownership mortgages in the UK Newer »