How do I get considered for a local candidate only position?

How do I get the HR to read my resume/CV as an out-of-state candidate applying for local candidate only position at a large firm? Do I even have a chance or am I wasting my time?

I recently found a position in a different city that I am very familiar with and travel to often. On the firm's website it doesn't mention the local candidate specifications but I recently discovered a different posting on linkedin that mentions it. This is a huge global firm that probably has an automated resume scanning system that may do keyword searches unless a candidate was referred to by an employee. I am just not sure if they would even get to look at my resume or just send to trash because of my out of state.

I found this posting on metafilter, but didn't find it too helpful.

I do know some people that live there, but because this job is a wishful thinking on my part and don't know my chances of getting in, or even considered, I don't really want to announce to others that I am applying to jobs yet. In addition, even if I do list the local address, it would not match my current work location.

I completely understand that employers include this phrase so they don't have to pay for relocation. If the economy was different, I'd move over there and get myself out there, but it's a huge risk for me to take right now. Having said that, I am willing to travel and move on my dime for the interview and for work. Do you have any suggestions on how to achieve this?
posted by icollectpurses to Work & Money (7 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Get a Google voice number with a local area code and put it on your resume.
posted by desjardins at 9:25 AM on March 12, 2010

I applied for a bunch of local-only jobs in different parts of the country, knowing I would move wherever, and just put in my cover letter "I will be moving to [your area] in [the next month or whatever]," even though that wasn't actually true unless they hired me, and I had no trouble with places calling back. The place I eventually got hired at interviewed me over phone & then video chat, and I of course did move there once they hired me. I don't know if that is a standard accepted practice, but it worked for me.
posted by brainmouse at 9:29 AM on March 12, 2010

2nding brainmouse. Usually "local candidate only" means "we don't want to pay for your relocation" -- they don't really care about your address.
posted by zvs at 12:32 PM on March 12, 2010

One job search workshop I had attended suggests that candidates remove their home addresses from their resumes to avoid being screen out for not being local. (not so much the out of state jobs as much as jobs that maybe 20 miles or more away from your home.)

Another recruiter I know told me that this was a red flag for many recruiters as they wonder, "What is this person trying to hide?"

In any case, you may try removing your address from the resume. YMMV of course!
posted by apark at 1:58 PM on March 12, 2010

+1 on the google voice thing. i moved to DC after being hired and was told that the only reason i got the job was because they had it open forever and they really liked my phone interview/that i was willing to fly there to do an in person 2nd interview...

but i wish i had thought of the google voice idea, would have been easy to do/take care of...
posted by knockoutking at 10:19 AM on March 13, 2010

speaking of google voice, here is another ask mefi about it "Can employers reach my Google Voice number?"
posted by knockoutking at 10:24 AM on March 13, 2010

I disagree that asking for "local candidates only" means that employers don't want to pay for relocation. The way they convey that message is by saying, "Will not pay for relocation."
What "local candidates only" means is that they have a hard enough time scheduling interviews without having to deal with the extra complexity of someone traveling in for them (too hard to cancel or change), or they doubt that a non-local candidate will be likely to take the job since there are more variables--you might have to sell a house, find a place you like to live, buy a house, convince a spouse to move, convince your teenagers to move, and so on-- and it's more likely that someone applying to a non-local job is fishing and can't be reeled in.
It drives me crazy when candidates don't put their home address on resumes, and I always ask about it in the first phone interview.
Having said that, the local number and omission of address may still be your best bets. You might get someone interested before they find out where you live. But if your real location can be found out via Google then you probably shouldn't lie about it.
The main thing you need to do is to convince them how serious you are about moving. It's best to have other reasons why you're moving: the idea is to convince the employer that your relocation is inevitable--the only question is when you're moving, not whether.
I was in this situation myself as a candidate and I gave my real (non-local to the job) phone number and address, but was specific about why I was moving--reasons that had nothing to do with the job. That worked for me.
posted by lockedroomguy at 7:35 PM on March 14, 2010

« Older What's the best way to hire a web developer for a...   |   Rainy afternoon in NYC Newer »