Study on suggestibility?
March 6, 2010 7:37 PM   Subscribe

Looking for research on the human brain's susceptibility to suggestion/environmental cues?

Some time ago, a friend of mine linked me to a study in which people were required to read a newsletter espousing political views they strongly disagreed with. There was no immediate change of opinion, but several months later, the subjects were more likely to agree with these ideas they had started off opposing. The conclusion was that after an idea has been knocking around in your head for a while, your brain starts to forget where it came from and whether it was supposed to trust the source or not.

Does anyone know what the heck this study is? Can anyone hook me up with similar research, that simply being exposed to an idea, wither explicitly in writing/speech, or communicated through the environment, is powerful in its own right?
posted by Andrhia to Science & Nature (5 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

Is this study relevant?
posted by icy at 8:04 PM on March 6, 2010

From a cursory search, what you're describing sounds similar to the sleeper effect. Here's a widely-cited 1953 paper on such an effect: Hovland & Weiss - The Influence of Source Credibility on Communication Effectiveness