iPhone alternative?

Is there an alternative to an iPhone that meets the following criteria?

I'm 2cm away from upgrading to an iPhone. There are a few things about it that bug me and I'd rather get , but it seems the only thing that meets my modest requirements:

1. Capacitive touchscreen with onscreen keyboard
2. Decent media/mp3 player with either a proper graphic equalizer or various EQ preset options.
3. 3.5mm headphone jack

I've liked the Android phones I've handled, but the first one definitely didn't have #2. And all the reviews I've read of others don't go into detail (simply stating that their media players are pretty perfunctory, no details beyond that). There was another I tried out (can't recall if it was Symbian or Linux) but did not get along with the resistive screen.

I'm basically just looking for a phone that is also a decent mp3 player (ie with tone control), and when needed some decent browing/emailing with a soft touch. Various other things (ie a camera) are of little or no importance here. I'm absolutely not interested in carrying a separate phone and mp3 player. And tired of reading endless reviews and previews of upcoming models.

Any suggestions?
posted by K.P. to Technology (16 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

The Motorola Droid does 1 and 3, but doesn't yet do 2. That having been said, there are media players in the Android Market which claim to do EQ (I haven't tried them) and rumors suggest that equalization might come with the new software updates, which are due Any Day Now. Can you wait at all?
posted by JMOZ at 12:23 PM on March 3, 2010

Oh, and I should mention that the Milestone (the European version of the Droid) apparently has a decent equalizer. If you're willing to root your phone (i.e. do a little work), you can get it on a Droid right now. Not sure if the Nexus One does this, but someone here must know.
posted by JMOZ at 12:25 PM on March 3, 2010

The iPhone has quite a few EQ preset options. It's under Settings->iPod->EQ.
posted by jedicus at 12:25 PM on March 3, 2010

Yeah, I just checked and it's a bit over 20 presets. Also, the iPhone will respect the custom, per-song EQ settings that you set up in iTunes.
posted by jedicus at 12:29 PM on March 3, 2010

rumors suggest that equalization might come with the new software updates, which are due Any Day Now. Can you wait at all?

I have been reading the same rumours for months, since the day when upgrading to a new phone was looming instead of long overdue. I was hoping something had developed that I might have missed.
posted by K.P. at 12:30 PM on March 3, 2010

Sorry if I wasn't clear--I knew this, and that's why it looks like the iPhone is the only option atm. It's other things (headache of jailbreaking for example) that bug me but I can deal with if it's the only option.
posted by K.P. at 12:32 PM on March 3, 2010

And the question was, "Is there an alternative to an iPhone that meets the following criteria?"

At this point, no. Apparently this is an OS "feature" at this point, which may or may not be corrected in the future, depending on who you ask.
posted by coolguymichael at 12:35 PM on March 3, 2010

Well, you can certainly root your android phone to use an equalizer instead of an iPhone. It's up to you to decide which is more convenient.
posted by JMOZ at 1:00 PM on March 3, 2010

The HTC HD2 is a sweet, sweet phone with all the features you want but has a high, high price.
posted by Perplexer at 1:09 PM on March 3, 2010

As is customary in most Apple posts -- you may want to hold off on an iPhone purchase because we're probably about 3 months from an update. Granted, I personally don't expect anything revolutionary to come out of the newest version, but at least they'll hopefully give the thing a decent spec bump (processor speed, screen resolution) to help it match the latest Android phones. Just a consideration if things like that are important to you.
posted by puritycontrol at 2:01 PM on March 3, 2010

Nexus One + TuneWiki will cover 1 +3.

This might cover 2.
posted by blue_beetle at 2:05 PM on March 3, 2010

Oh, and I looked a bit more- Astroplayer (for Android) has an EQ as well. I haven't tried it, personally. (I use a separate mp3 player (a Cowon S9)).
posted by JMOZ at 2:11 PM on March 3, 2010

It's kinda ghetto, but the LG Chocolate/8575/Touch has a pretty good MP3 player with 4-channel EQ and Dolby (noise reduction? licensed logo?), 3.5mm jack, touch-screen (not capacitance) with onscreen keyboard. I'm listening to MP3s on mine right now. There's even an iTunes-synchronizing app for the phone, which I've never tried but looks promising.
posted by AzraelBrown at 2:39 PM on March 3, 2010

Perplexer: "The HTC HD2 is a sweet, sweet phone with all the features you want"

It is a sweet phone/PDA. A screen to die for. Software that runs well on it and has graphic equalizers with preset EQs (like, aren't these standard issue on everything by now?)
Pocket Player
Pocket Tunes
Pocket Music
CorePlayer (more for video, but has nice EQs)
posted by meehawl at 2:53 PM on March 3, 2010

FYI, jailbreaking is a pretty straightforward process thanks to blackra1n. Takes about 5 minutes to download and install the software.
posted by cebailey at 3:16 PM on March 3, 2010

You can download music apps for the Android phones and some of them are pretty good. Browse the app store before making a decision.
posted by fshgrl at 10:41 PM on March 3, 2010

« Older A/V cable help, please?   |   Time to refresh my cube. Newer »