Hiring Fair

There is a sort of hiring fair for Apple inc this coming weekend. What should I wear? It was an invite from back when I sent in my resume. I realize that in the store people dress pretty casual. And this event is at least for positions in the stores. Should I dress in a suit? Or a t-shirt? Or halfway? Does anyone have any experience at such an event?
posted by anonymous to Computers & Internet (11 answers total)

You should dress in the clothes that you will find yourself most comfortable in, given the situation. This does not necessarily mean your most comfortable clothes, since you would probably feel situationally uncomfortable wearing your flannel pajama bottoms in public regardless of the physical comfort they provide. What this does mean is that you should be comfortable and not worrying about your clothes. Unless you wear a suit every day, and that's your personality and you can wear a suit without looking like you got "dressed up," I would say don't wear a suit. First, because you'll just feel phony and second because you'll be one of the only people wearing a suit anyway, so you'll constantly be questioning if you overdressed, which will make you uncomfortable, etc.

What would you wear if you were going to visit your grandmother? Wear that, but with less blue.
posted by Civil_Disobedient at 3:25 PM on March 2, 2010

As a general rule, over-dressing to some degree is never a bad thing when in an interview situation. That said, I think a pair of khakis/or other "slacks" as opposed to jeans, paired with a nice shirt and a sports coat would probably fit the bill--probably no tie. A suit would be overkill. My friends who work for Apple in corporate tend to the nice shirt/slacks no tie look. Oh, and real shoes as opposed to athletic shoes.
posted by agatha_magatha at 3:27 PM on March 2, 2010

Casual button-up shirt, untucked, and jeans. Slip-on shoes, not laced.
posted by The Winsome Parker Lewis at 3:28 PM on March 2, 2010

I'd go with a black mock turtleneck, jeans and sneakers, but you can test out other looks here.
posted by dirk gently at 3:44 PM on March 2, 2010 [7 favorites]

What agatha_magatha said. And because it is Apple, I would head for black slacks instead of khakis.

IME you should be aiming one step up from where The Winsome Parker Lewis is - no jeans, probably a tucked shirt. If that's what they're wearing in the store, be a bit nicer than that for the interview.
posted by whatzit at 3:45 PM on March 2, 2010

Just wear what you would normally wear. Being intelligent and passionate about the technology is probably a few orders of magnitude more important than what you wear.
posted by jeffamaphone at 3:47 PM on March 2, 2010

As a general rule, over-dressing to some degree is never a bad thing when in an interview situation.
This is going to sound obvious, but based on my bad experiences with tech startups, I'd like to remind you that "some degree" means don't wear a suit if your interviewers' normal attire is wrinkled t-shirts. You want to be one or two steps above day-to-day wear, not in a totally separate realm.
posted by tantivy at 4:31 PM on March 2, 2010

look to the ceo for fashion clues. what's good enough for him is good enough for you.

no flip-flops.
posted by krautland at 4:45 PM on March 2, 2010

Very dark jeans. Fitted T-shirt in good condition with no corporate logos on it. Street sneakers (Puma, Converse, Tigers, etc- not the kind you could wear to the gym). Cardigan or (nice-quality, very clean) hoodie if it's cold. Definitely not a suit. Apple doesn't think much of guys in suits.
posted by pseudostrabismus at 4:51 PM on March 2, 2010

Button-down shirt untucked with jeans and tennis shoes is the techie dress code on the main Apple campus.
posted by Tell Me No Lies at 7:42 PM on March 2, 2010

This. As a former Apple Store employee, come as you would anywhere else, but look nice. Put together, if you will. They're not looking at how well you're dressed, they're looking for you. Be your exciting, friendly self.

On a personal note, I hate that hiring fair. I was lucky that I had a one on one interview at what ended up being my store later that day. Night and day.

Feel free to Metamail me if you have any questions.
posted by gc at 12:08 AM on March 3, 2010

« Older Need to find this moving short film!   |   What is the best (human) language for... Newer »