Is there a painless way to stream live video (and Jacoby Ellsbury) to my TV via my Wii?

Is there a hackless way to stream MLB TV on my Wii?

I was very disappointed in the season MLB package I got through my cable company last season - the games were almost never shown in HD, and worse, I never got to choose the home or away feed (missing out on my team's announcers). MLB TV is $60 less for the season, but I'd still want to be able to watch that stream on my actual TV.

I've read some of the older questions on here about streaming video through the Wii via a hack in Twilight Princess, as well as recommendations for Orb...but I'm too chicken to hack the Wii and I'm running an iMac with the Tiger operating system, so to try things out via trial and error with Orb (which requires Leopard), I'd have to drop $135 with Amazon for the operating system upgrade. I'd be fine with that, if I could tell for certain it'll work with a stream of a live game. The demos I've watched of Orb are always of media stored on a computer's hard drive.

Those AskMeFi postings are more than a year old now too, so I'm hoping there may be some other solution that I could find via Google. I've also got a Tivo HD, if that helps with a solution.
posted by acorn1515 to Computers & Internet (7 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

I know very little of streaming, but I just wanted to note that Snow Leopard, the newest operating system, is only $29. It's intel CPU only, however, so make sure you don't have an older PowerPC G5 iMac (Apple icon-->About This Mac)
posted by sharkfu at 4:35 PM on February 24, 2010

Your easiest option will be to plug your iMac into your TV with the appropriate combination of cables and adapters, or to get a Roku Box which supports MLB.tv directly. You could use the $60 less you pay for MLB.tv and apply it towards the Roku box, which will also stream Netflix and Amazon video.

It looks like Orb is only for media that is actually on your PC or if you have a TV tuner card. There's PlayOn which is made more for streaming-type things but someone has to basically hack together a plugin for it that supports MLB.tv, and nobody has yet. These kinds of Wii streaming solutions right now are very hacky; they use the Internet Channel's Flash player for the video, which isn't the greatest.
posted by zsazsa at 4:48 PM on February 24, 2010

zsazsa: "Your easiest option will be to plug your iMac into your TV with the appropriate combination of cables and adapters, or to get a Roku Box which supports MLB.tv directly."

Note: "All live games on MLB.TV and available through MLB.com At Bat are subject to local blackouts. Such live games will be blacked out in each applicable Club's home television territory, regardless of whether that Club is playing at home or away." You can see on that page what games will be blacked out for you. (For me it's every single game my home team plays, home or away. I tell you, baseball is the only thing that makes me wish I still had cable.)
posted by The corpse in the library at 5:14 PM on February 24, 2010

The Roku box works great, better over WiFi than the mlb.tv stream to my MacBook Pro via wire. I have the original Roku BTW.

The blackouts for live games are real, but the local games are available in the archive and as condensed games the next morning.
posted by pkreutzer at 7:12 PM on February 24, 2010

I'm also going to suggest the Roku box. I got one in the fall and it really exceeded my expectations. One of the best gadgets I've ever bought.
posted by PFL at 6:47 AM on February 25, 2010

Thanks, everyone, for the answers so far. It sounds like the Roku box is just the thing for me -- though a little frustrating to have to buy yet another box as I already can stream Netflix and Amazon through my Tivo. I'm going to hold off until spring training is a bit closer and see if they might offer a subscription deal when buying a new box.

sharkfu - The Apple link you provided is only for people upgrading from Leopard to Snow Leopard. I'm still on the previous Tiger operating system, so believe I would have to purchase the Mac Box Set in order to upgrade to Snow Leopard. That set is a bit cheaper on Amazon.
posted by acorn1515 at 10:47 AM on February 25, 2010

sharkfu - The Apple link you provided is only for people upgrading from Leopard to Snow Leopard.

Oops, sorry. Did not notice that.
posted by sharkfu at 7:13 PM on February 25, 2010

« Older I want to revel in my gloriousness   |   And after all this, I'm freezing the cards in a... Newer »