What song is this?

Help-Me-Find-a-Song-Filter: I heard this once on a CD compilation burned by someone I don't know. I think it's in waltz time. It's sung by a female, possibly Neko Case or someone who has a similar voice. It's a beautiful, haunting song in which the chorus asks a question like "how can I be mortal?" I don't think it's in these exact words but that is the gist.
posted by xenophile to Media & Arts (4 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Christine Collister's cover of Richard Thompson's "How Will I Ever Be Simple Again?" perhaps? It's a slow and gorgeous waltz with a reasonably close match for the chorus. I don't think Collister and Case have voices that are that similar, but that is merely my opinion.
posted by ricochet biscuit at 9:33 AM on February 24, 2010

How long ago was this? Are the music and vocals quiet or loud? Anything else about the song itself that you remember?
posted by peep at 11:30 AM on February 24, 2010

Is it Maybe Sparrow by Neko Case? The way she sings "You didn't heed my warning" could line up with "How can I be mortal" if you weren't listening closely.
posted by davejay at 12:13 PM on February 24, 2010

(also, Maybe Sparrow is in 3/4 time, if my memory serves, and I'd call it haunting.)
posted by davejay at 12:14 PM on February 24, 2010

« Older Tailor in State College   |   Hot apple pie, okay. Hot Apple Macbook, not so... Newer »