Book with wormholes that view the past?

What'sThatBookFilter: Viewing the past via portable wormholes?

I must have read this in the last 5-7 years. It was (iirc) a highly entertaining science fiction book, but I don't have a clue who wrote it. Google's throwing up a lot, but nothing seems close.

Premise was that events in the past could be viewed by guiding a wormhole to that point in space/time. You could also attach a wormhole to a person or object, and follow them/it back through time. Possibly.

Notable historic events are found to be false; the first human ancestor is found; and there's some kind of side plot where a wormhole's view of a very recent event is flawed.

Ring any bells?
posted by Petrot to Grab Bag (4 answers total)

The Light of Other Days? Not clear on whether or not the book you're describing is for children or not.
posted by iconomy at 9:09 AM on February 23, 2010

Just looked that up on Wikipedia, and you're right! Thanks, that was quick.
posted by Petrot at 9:20 AM on February 23, 2010

This book broke my head.
posted by word_virus at 11:30 AM on February 23, 2010

Petrot: there's some kind of side plot where a wormhole's view of a very recent event is flawed.

You've already received your answer, but there's also a classic short story that shares a fair portion of the elements you describe, "The Dead Past," by Isaac Asimov. Recommended! (In the meantime, that book just went onto my reading list!)
posted by WCityMike at 12:56 PM on February 23, 2010

« Older Best way to have solid internet connection no...   |   Need book suggestions for a "read aloud" book club Newer »