Stainless steel water bottles made in the U.S.A.

The Holy Grail of water bottles? Looking for a wide-mouth food grade stainless steel water bottle made in the U.S.A., preferably holds one liter or more...

I've looked through previous questions about stainless steel water bottles, but I didn't see any makers listed that made their products in the U.S.A. Am I on a never ending search?
posted by TrickyLib to Health & Fitness (17 answers total) 10 users marked this as a favorite

I probably won't be the last to recommend SIGG bottles and, although previously unbeknown to me, they do apparently carry widemouth bottles.
posted by InsanePenguin at 4:57 PM on February 17, 2010

Oh, ok. Not made in the US, though. Any particular reason that's so important?
posted by InsanePenguin at 4:59 PM on February 17, 2010

Kleen Kanteen hits everything but the made-in-USA part.
posted by box at 5:06 PM on February 17, 2010 [1 favorite]

It may seem excessive to some people, but I try not to use items that my beverages and food may sit in for an extended period of time. I own a SIGG, but it is aluminum and I'm not too thrilled with the fact they won't disclose what the bottle lining is actually made of...
posted by TrickyLib at 5:28 PM on February 17, 2010

Whoops, I mean to say I try not to use containers for food/beverages made in China.
posted by TrickyLib at 5:30 PM on February 17, 2010

Guyot also hits everything but the Made-in-China thing.
posted by box at 5:35 PM on February 17, 2010

Made-in-China, Made-in-USA, you know what I mean.

Ahh, ok. Then I'm out of suggestions, sorry!
posted by InsanePenguin at 5:36 PM on February 17, 2010

By googling for 'made in usa,' I found quite a few websites which attempt to list made-in-USA products.

Alternately, one of my friends uses a Mason jar.
posted by box at 6:00 PM on February 17, 2010

Seconding a Mason Jar. I had a friend in college who drank out of the same one all 4 years. Easy to clean!
posted by kthxbi at 6:17 PM on February 17, 2010

If you believe this site, apparently there are no stainless bottles being made in the US as of December 2009.

You could always use a canteen! Apparently, they're all the rage (uscanteen's product, however, is made in China, not the US).
posted by clerestory at 8:05 PM on February 17, 2010

If the compromise of "company with US manufacturing facilities, albeit for other more expensive items" appeals to you, CamelBak would work.
posted by gnomeloaf at 9:01 PM on February 17, 2010

I use a Klean Kanteen. It (like seemingly every other bottle) is made in China, but they seem to be pretty sustainable and environmentally conscious.
posted by Earl the Polliwog at 9:59 PM on February 17, 2010

I have a Klean Kanteen, despite my abhorrence for things that don't need to start with K.

However, the thing I drink out of every day is an antique glass one litre milk bottle. It's not so great for hiking, but it is perfect for iced tea at my desk.
posted by Sallyfur at 1:09 AM on February 18, 2010

Here you go... Life Without Plastic - water bottles
posted by Corky at 5:12 AM on February 18, 2010

There's a long discussion thread comparing water bottles at Everyday Carry Forums, and I believe many entries include the item's national origin:
http://edcforums.com/index.php?topic=32211.0
posted by wenestvedt at 11:32 AM on February 18, 2010

What about this kind of thing?

I didn't see, quickly searching, whether Oggi (apparently the dominant steel canister maker) is American, but maybe the idea will expand your options.
posted by cmoj at 4:50 PM on February 18, 2010

« Older Library fees?   |   A New Old Book? Newer »