Know Volunteer Scheudling Package?

Does anyone know a free or low-cost software package or online scheduling service where we can list volunteer activities and people can log-in to put themselves on the calendar?

I run a local Red Cross, and need to do a better job of scheduling volunteers in various activities. These activities could be things like tabling at a street fair, cleaning up disaster equipment, or staffing a shelter.

The goal is to be able to register people as volunteers using Red Cross guidelines, and to then give them a log-in so they can pick opportunities for themselves. In a best-case scenario volunteers would only be able to sign up for things they are qualified to do.
posted by nathanrudy to Computers & Internet (7 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

I think that Volgistics does what you're looking for. I'm not an admin, but I use it for the program I volunteer with.

We don't use all the features available, but I'm pretty sure it does the things you ask. I don't know about cost, though.
posted by Gorgik at 12:39 PM on February 17, 2010

There is a service called http://Volunteermatch.org which might fulfill your needs, but I don't know how much they charge (they might not charge for you as the provider of volunteer work).

Another idea would be to take the http://doodle.ch scheduling service, but I don't know how scalable that would be.
posted by lord_yo at 1:30 PM on February 17, 2010

DIY option is to set up a free Google Site for your project, then create either a calendar or a to-do list on the home page. You can then give out login info for each volunteer, and they can add themselves to the calendar from there. You can also use the site as a general clearinghouse for information that only approved volunteers can see.
posted by jbickers at 1:40 PM on February 17, 2010

I have used VolunteerSpot.com in the past and found it fairly easy to use. It is free so they put stupid adds on the bottom of the signup emails but I haven't noticed anything too horrible.
posted by ChrisHartley at 1:47 PM on February 17, 2010

How big is the volunteer group?

An organization in my area uses doodle for organizing small (around 10) groups of volunteers.
posted by Arthur Dent at 2:35 PM on February 17, 2010

Response by poster: @arthur - the group is in the hundreds.
posted by nathanrudy at 5:59 PM on February 17, 2010

I invite you to take a look at www.volunteer2.com. We have Red Cross chapters using our Volunteer Impact system and they are very happy with it. If you would like to get in touch with me, I would be happy to pass on their names and contact information. Tony Goodrow 800-844-1545 tony@volunteer2.com
posted by tony@volunteer2.com at 10:50 AM on February 18, 2010

« Older Sounds of the East   |   Can you use "[nationality] capital" to refer to a... Newer »