Connecting mp3 player shuts down wireless keyboard/mouse?

I recently bought a Logitech Wave wireless keyboard/mouse combo. They work fine, except when I connect my Sansa Clip mp3 player to a USB port to recharge and upload music, at which point they completely stop working.

I previously used an older model Logitech wireless mouse + corded keyboard and had no such problem, and when I use the older mouse it still works fine while the Sansa Clip is connected. I can connect and charge/sync my iPhone via USB without any disruption in the functioning of the new mouse/keyboard. I updated firmware from Logitech, but it didn't help. Any ideas?
posted by Kat Allison to Computers & Internet (2 answers total)

Best answer: Are you using a passive USB hub? I've had funkiness when the power draw on the USB is a bit too much due to one too many devices. I'd try disconnecting everything non essential and see if the problem persists with just the sansa and keyb/mouse plugged in, preferably to the motherboard USB jacks.
posted by tremspeed at 10:32 PM on February 14, 2010

Response by poster: Aha -- that did it, tremspeed -- thanks! I hadn't realized that the cordless keyboard would be enough extra draw to tip it over the edge. (And thanks to Burhanistan as well for reminding me to update drivers!)
posted by Kat Allison at 9:18 AM on February 15, 2010

« Older What's the dangly bit on the N?   |   How much sharing is too much? Newer »