Help me charge my iphone in St. Lucia?
February 12, 2010 7:11 PM   Subscribe

Will I be able to charge my iphone 3G (USA) in St. Lucia?

I'm getting ready to travel and would like to keep it charged in case of emergency even if I don't really plan to make calls... I know international roaming rates are high. I'm guessing I need an outlet adapter, do I also need a transformer? thanks!
posted by pinkbungalow to Technology (6 answers total)
1. No transformer needed.
2. You need this plug adapter.
3. Under settings, turn off data roaming.

That's it.
posted by meerkatty at 7:23 PM on February 12, 2010

It looks like St. Lucia uses 240 volts with a British-style plug. Most cellphone chargers can handle a range of voltages from 110-240V (It will say it on the back of the charger). For information about the plug type you need, check here.
posted by Aanidaani at 7:24 PM on February 12, 2010

And if you're worried about incurring a cost from things like receiving a text message, just keep your phone on Airplane Mode.
posted by meerkatty at 7:24 PM on February 12, 2010

thanks for the lightning fast answers!! :-)
posted by pinkbungalow at 7:32 PM on February 12, 2010

Make sure you've enabled international roaming (you can see it as a feature when you view your account online... if you don't see it and can't add it, you'll need to call 611 before you leave) or you won't be able use the phone for anything other than dialing emergency numbers like 999 and 911.
posted by birdherder at 7:45 PM on February 12, 2010

To further explain what meerkatty said (she's right in all her points) you can find out with any electronic device whether you need a transformer or not by looking at the device (or if it has a brick-style plug, on the plug itself) for the electrical information. If it says 110-240V 50-60Hz it will work anywhere in the world, all you need is an adapter. If it just says 110 60hz, then it will only work in areas that have that voltage and frequency range (like north america, but not europe and most of asia). Most modern portable devices such as laptops and cellphones have the transformer built in and will say 110-240V 50-60Hz. Travel sites like wikitravel will usually tell you electrical information of any country you plan on visiting.

In my frequent travels for work and backpacking on my own, I pissed off many an amateur traveller by pointing out they didn't need to lug a heavy transformer around, especially when they were designed for a lot of electrical use. :D
posted by hylaride at 7:32 AM on February 13, 2010

« Older Office Politics for Dummies   |   like Logic Grid Puzzles Only... Better Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.