Railroad me!

Do you have videogame recommendations for someone who is terrible at them but loves them anyway?

I kind of have a little sister problem. Growing up, I would always watch my big brother play games, but I never got to hold the controller, and now I love them but I don't seem to have an innate grasp of game mechanics or puzzle solving logic, and I certainly don't have the crazy button pressing skills required for things like shooters or platformers. I love j-rpgs but have trouble handling the whole strategy aspect, and tactical rpgs leave me extremely frustrated because I just want to progress the damn story, already! I hate dying and falling into bottomless pits, I'm no good at breeding complex monsters to develop the really cool things, I freak out at time limits, I dislike being chilled and frightened. I'm just really, terribly, horribly bad at videogames.

But I want to play them anyway. I love the feeling of satisfaction I get when I accomplish things, and the fantastical, fun, imaginative aspects of games draw me in. Unfortunately, simple games that never cross the plateau of difficulty are usually made for kids and never have the type of complex story, interesting world, compelling characters, or design commitment that I love and look for. Racing and puzzle games are fun, but rarely tell a story or cause me to care. Are there any that I have missed and would love?

Like I said, I'm terrible at videogames. I can't get through most Final Fantasies. The only Zelda game I ever played all the way through was Four Swords (which I loved). Pikmin was so hard, but so cute, I'm stuck at the final boss. I've thrown controllers at Soul Calibur, I can't make any money in Animal Crossing, every rhythm game makes me weep.

I have a PS3, PS2, xbox 360, and a wii at my disposal. I know you're going to suggest WoW for me, but I'm actively trying to avoid that game - I played for a couple years and it was going to ruin me. I enjoy console games much more than PC because they help me budget my time better.

I love Civilization, Tetris, Pokemon Snap (don't be a hater), Kingdom Hearts, Harvest Moon, Katamari, Ico, Viva Pinata, Odin Sphere, Mario Kart, Puzzle Quest, God of War, and Okami.

Please hope me, Metafilter!
posted by Mizu to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (47 answers total) 40 users marked this as a favorite

Lego Star Wars, Lego Indiana Jones, Lego Batman. All can also be played in 2-player mode.
posted by contessa at 5:53 PM on February 12, 2010 [4 favorites]

I think you'll love Culdcept on the PS2 or 360.
posted by Faint of Butt at 5:55 PM on February 12, 2010

I was about to recommend Katamari, but you beat me to it.
I love Sonic the Hedgehog, too. There are a lot of bottomless pits, but its still fun.
posted by SLC Mom at 5:57 PM on February 12, 2010 [1 favorite]

Since you can play Tetris... can you play music games?

I have a similar "little sister" problem (I can play FF; I can't handle Zelda at all) and I really love DDR, ITG, Rock Band, karaoke games, etc. Some music games require good reflexes, but the gameplay mechanics are very narrowly defined and don't correspond to moving about in a 2D or 3D world.
posted by tantivy at 5:58 PM on February 12, 2010

Lego Indiana Jones, I can't recommend it enough.

Little Big Planet, single player or co-operative, beautiful on an HD screen.
posted by limited slip at 5:59 PM on February 12, 2010

i second the rec to check out little big planet (ps3).
posted by xiaolongbao at 6:02 PM on February 12, 2010

I endorse the Lego series as well.

Shadow Of The Colossus is the sequel (mumble) to Ico, and it is heartbreakingly beautiful. If you've played God Of War, maybe Assassin's Creed 2 will be to your liking? It's a little clunky to control at times, but it is also shockingly pretty.

As well, Mass Effect is not terribly difficult, but is also a first-person shooter, so while it may not be to your taste, it's got a fantastic space-opera story and lets you set a difficulty level appropriate to you.
posted by mhoye at 6:02 PM on February 12, 2010

Little Big Planet, to my great sadness, is too hard for me somewhere around the ninja levels. It's seriously tricky, and my utter lack of rhythm and timing is a problem I have for real life and not just videogames, so I get super mad. I almost broke the PS3 controller on those spinny wheel things - thank god for couch cushions. I've made some levels but I'm too detail oriented for the level creator not to drive me crazy and suck me in for days.

I'll be playing these by myself, sorry I didn't specify. Single player only, please. Thus, things that would end up with me singing quietly by myself would just be depressing.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, please keep them coming!
posted by Mizu at 6:03 PM on February 12, 2010

This might sound strange, but I'd recommend Prototype. If you can handle the mechanics of God of War, you can handle the mechanics of Prototype. It's also very forgiving in terms of difficulty, has somewhat of an interesting "leveling" system where you can basically upgrade via genetic mutations, and oh yeah you get to run up the side of buildings, basically fly and pummel tanks. It got some mixed reviews but I would agree with the Onion A.V. Club which "gave the game an 'A' ranking, calling the movement style 'exhilarating' and saying it was a 'mature, science-fiction superhero fantasy that somehow makes players feel simultaneously powerful and vulnerable.'"
posted by cloax at 6:06 PM on February 12, 2010 [1 favorite]

Super Paper Mario is pretty easy going.

Mainly, I want to recommend the IGN walkthroughs so that you never through the controller again.
posted by saffry at 6:07 PM on February 12, 2010

All the Lego games can be played solo w/ no loss of playability. My favorites are the Lego Star Wars ones (there are two games for LSW). The 2-player ability is just an extra bonus because it's pretty rare to find a really engaging fun multiplayer console game, IMO.
posted by contessa at 6:08 PM on February 12, 2010 [1 favorite]

Fallout 3 might work. Adjustable difficulty (with the easiest difficulty making dying a bit of a challenge), a vast world to explore full of character to meet where almost no quest is mandatory, and there are often lots of ways to do most things anyway. With the V.A.T.S. mechanic, the whole thing can basically be played using a turn-based battle style, so there's no need for reflex-twitching. It's also very interesting, moving, and huge.
posted by planet at 6:12 PM on February 12, 2010 [3 favorites]

If good story and great design are what you are looking for you cannot go wrong with Braid.(PC, Xbox Live)
It just oozes style.

It is a platformer, so it can get tricky at times. But it is very forgiving.
And the puzzles are hard, but most of them are not super frustratingly hard.
posted by Widepath at 6:14 PM on February 12, 2010

Seconding Shadow of the Colossus. I've never been so impressed with such a simple game; it's involving and, yes, heartbreakingly beautiful. It's worth the consideration, and it's more a sequel in spirit than in actuality.

If you like SotC, then I also recommend that you should check out The Last Guardian (by the same company, apparently similar in essence to Ico) when it's released this year. Hopefully this year.
posted by far from gormless at 6:17 PM on February 12, 2010 [1 favorite]

Haha, I have a "big sister" problem. My little brother hogged the systems when we were growing up and I was relegated to permanent 2P and audience member. I've been slowly overcoming this.

For the PS3, f you can handle the combat system in God of War, you might also want to check out the upcoming Heavy Rain. The reviews have been really good, and it draws on a similar skill set of mashing specific buttons at the right time.

For the Wii, a lot of the more party friendly games are easy but still fun, like Warioware or Raving Rabids. Super Mario Galaxy is a fairly easy adventure game, and Wii Sports Resort is also a nice update to the plain old Wii Sports. I've also been getting a kick out of Little King Story (very Pikmin-esque, but it can be ridiculously hard sometimes). I haven't tried it myself, but if you can get your hands on a Wii Zapper, I always found that light guns made zombie games exponentially more fun for me.

And I know you said you preferred console gaming, but just in case, I wasn't introduced to old-school adventure games until I was in my twenties, and I've found them to be pretty fantastic, especially when I'm not feeling super coordinated.
posted by Diagonalize at 6:21 PM on February 12, 2010

You could try Tales of Vesperia. It has a easy difficulty selection feature. Mass Effect has a easy difficulty selection as well. Both have great stories.
posted by demiurge at 6:21 PM on February 12, 2010

I also think of myself as not-so-great at video games, but I've been playing for the last ten years or so. If you like Okami (I loved that game, seriously), I'd think you'd like other Zelda games, like Wind Waker or Twilight Princess. Have you tried playing those, or were they too frustrating for some reason?

My favorite series is Ratchet and Clank. (It's not that different from Jak and Daxter; Ratchet's an easier game, I think. Jak might be worth a shot if you haven't tried it already.) You do die, but you have infinite lives and just pop up at the last auto-save point. If you're a completionist, you can work to get all the weapons, mods and upgrades, platinum bolts (to get cheats or skins), etc. I've played the whole series - there are a core series of characters who appear in most all the games, so you might miss some of the nerdy in-jokes is you start in the middle.
I like the characters. The developers imbue it with a sort of computer nerd/ engineer sort of humor - Ratchet is a handyman and Clank is his little robot buddy. When you hit an enemy they explode into nuts and bolts, the game's money, and your first weapon is a wrench. The series is most well-known for its weapons - my absolute favorite weapon was in Up Your Arsenal - you always have some sort of transmogrifier device that turns your enemies into animals: sheep, chicken, monkeys - you could turn your enemies into ducks, and once you upgraded the weapon you could turn one enemy into this evil fiery fanged duck of doom that would fly around behind you and then divebomb other enemies. Most of the games have arena challenges, and some space flying challenges - I've found the controls to be pretty intuitive, and for most of the games, you can switch controls easily.
It's described as a platformer/ shooter, but a lot of weapons have lock-on mods, and will generally point at the enemies if you're pointed in the right direction. I'd recommend Up Your Arsenal or Tools of Destruction if you just want a sense of what the series is like; there are four Ratchet games for the PS2 and two (normal-length) for the PS3 (there was a portable game, Size Matters, that got ported over to the PS2 but I didn't like it at all).
None of the games should take you more than 25-30 hours total (and they all have a second playthrough to get modded weapons and a challenge mode, with a bolt (money) multiplier.
Wow, I wrote a lot.
posted by queseyo at 6:31 PM on February 12, 2010

Racing and puzzle games are fun, but rarely tell a story or cause me to care.

Then I think you would love Portal (on The Orange Box). I sometimes experience a random ache of regret that I can't ever play it again for the first time.

The original Jak & Daxter for PS2 is super cheap and I loved it. 2 and 3 are totally different games (IMO they suck).

I agree all the Ratchet games are awesome, but if you think you might want to play all of them, go in order because it sucks to go backward. The gameplay progressed so perfectly that you feel constrained going back to the old games.
posted by peep at 6:39 PM on February 12, 2010 [1 favorite]

If you don't mind picking up another system, the Nintendo DS is a great investment and not expensive. It can play any gameboy games, so you can get a lot of old games for super cheap. You could play the normal pokemon games which I enjoy a lot to this day.

If you do end up getting one, I would also recommend the Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney games. Decent amount of story and characters, and they're really forgiving.

I have sister syndrome too, and I often just rely on walkthroughs.
posted by Solon and Thanks at 6:41 PM on February 12, 2010

I was going to suggest Fallout 3 for all the reasons Planet did. If the idea of exploring a post holocaust world where every little tumbledown shack has a sort of story written in the dust and debris on it's floor appeals to you, then you might really enjoy it.

Pros: Between VATS plus a good small guns and sneak skills > all the ninja button pushing ability you could ask for.

Cons: feral ghouls = nightmare fuel, but they're the weakest enemies in the game.

Note - Have a high enough Charisma that you can take the animal friend perk when it becomes available. And don't be in a big damn hurry to catch up with dad. Just wander and explore.
posted by Kid Charlemagne at 6:47 PM on February 12, 2010 [1 favorite]

Have you done the early JRPGs? Some of the early stuff is hard to get into these days (DW3, for instance), but Chrono Trigger and Dragon Warrior IV are still very playable.
posted by Monday, stony Monday at 7:02 PM on February 12, 2010

I'm going to recommend AGAINST Shadow of the Colossus if you're prone to controller-throwing. I don't consider myself terrible at video games, but that game had moments that made me want to smash a Dual Shock.

Batman: Arkham Asylum was my favorite game of last year, and it has an easy difficulty setting. The game has a very Zelda feel to it with the various tools you acquire throughout the game that allow you to access new areas and such. Fallout 3 I can recommend as well for reasons others have mentioned already.

And in general, I feel there's no shame in using a faq/walkthrough if it helps you get more enjoyment out of a particular game.
posted by marchismo at 7:16 PM on February 12, 2010 [1 favorite]

Shadow of the Colossus is a really awesome, unique game...but holy crap, that last boss was so hard. I'm sure it took me over 2 hours to kill him (after already looking up how on the web. My hands were sore and my voice shot from all the swearing. Even my bf, a life-long gamer, had a hard time with that last boss. (And then the flying one that you have to shoot from your horse and chase down...yes, great game, but can be really tough, imo.)
But hey, God of War isn't a cakewalk, either.
posted by queseyo at 7:18 PM on February 12, 2010

Although it looks intimidating, Super Mario Galaxy has a very gradual learning curve, and doesn't reach a very grueling difficulty. Not to mention it is one of the best games of the past decade!, with a fantastic soundtrack!
posted by Herschel at 7:20 PM on February 12, 2010 [2 favorites]

You say you love Civ, have you tried Civilization: Revolution? It is on PS3 and 360, and it is excellent.
posted by TimeDoctor at 7:35 PM on February 12, 2010

I would vote against Fallout 3. That game can require some strategy and be a major time-sync with the wide open world. I mean, stats galore! Weapons galore! Oh my! Your preferences mirror mine somewhat; if you don't make it through FF or most Zeldas, I doubt Fallout 3 would be up your alley. Your preferences seem to lend your gameplay to more linear type game play. Just my 2 cents.
posted by jmd82 at 7:38 PM on February 12, 2010 [1 favorite]

I'm a shade to old to really have a feel for most video games and strongly prefer non-combat, open-ended exploration. An earlier poster noted Okami as something all right-thinking persons would enjoy; while I would have liked to enjoy it, I lack the fundamental gamer-wiring to make it workable, something I think you are describing.

A few posters have mentioned the Lego series (Star Wars, Batman, Indy). My wife completed the entirety of the Star Wars one and went back for more, so I think in general these are solid recommendations.

I do have another suggestion, too. The out-of-print Endless Ocean is beautifully rendered and staggeringly deep, without ANY combat or even a hint of combat-based danger or competitively-motivated abuse. Again, this is a game my wife completed and then returned to. It took her about three calendar months. The game is about $35 on eBay and as high as $110 on Amazon.

Endless Ocean II comes out at the end of the month.
posted by mwhybark at 8:18 PM on February 12, 2010

I'm not sure if this is what you'd like, but point and click games are fairly gratifying and don't require any sort of strategy or fancy button pressing. They can be difficult because you have to solve problems and puzzles, but with a walkthrough you never need to be stuck and you can become properly engrossed in the story without getting frustrated.

The best ones are on the PC (Monkey Island 3 is very approachable and great fun and Grim Fandango is considered the classic of the genre) but for the PS2 there is Broken Sword 3 which is fun enough or Monkey Island 4. I haven't played it myself but I've heard good things about Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure for the Wii.

Actually, just out for the PS3 is a game that looks vaguely similar to the point 'n' click games: Heavy Rain. Story driven, more about character development and interaction than anything else. Apparently its got quite a few quick time events, but you don't have to get them right to continue with the story.
posted by litleozy at 8:47 PM on February 12, 2010

Dragon Age! Single player RPG, adjustable difficulty ("Easy" is really easy), fantastic story, complex story, compelling world, great NPCs - it's my current favourite game. If you still have trouble with fighting, download the Advanced Tactics mod, use the presets for your characters, and let the AI fight itself. (This assumes you get the PC version - can't mod the console ones.)

Other than that - I haven't played it, but Bayonetta is apparently fun and has a single-button-press EZmode to get you through fights.
posted by Xany at 8:54 PM on February 12, 2010

Viva Pinata. Cheat a little: look up how to create a self-sustaining bee farm (convince the bees to make honey on their own / get a slave to gather the honey for $$). Fill half a garden with this and use the other half to play around and see what aspects of the game you (hopefully) find fun. No pressure, no rules, no timers, and the garden will gradually become more profitable, allowing you more freedom.
posted by jessicapierce at 9:03 PM on February 12, 2010

How about Mass Effect 2? Its very cinematic and a lot of fun. You can play on 'casual' and really not worry about the combat elements too much and enjoy the story. I finished it tonight and Im still reeling from the experience.
posted by damn dirty ape at 9:09 PM on February 12, 2010

Popping back in to echo the concerns about Shadow of the Colossus. It's an exquisite game, but it can be INCREDIBLY frustrating. If you don't deal well with time constraints and constantly falling off of things, you will probably not get a lot out of this game. I also find Fallout 3 to be amazing, but also occasionally overwhelming.

I'd definitely second Ratchet and Clank, and I really don't think you need to play them all in order. I didn't play any until the PS3, and I thought Tools of Destruction was just dandy. Someone else mentioned Batman: Arkham Asylum, and on reflection, you might enjoy that one on easy mode. It's got a lot of nifty keen action, and the combat system is basically about as complicated as you want it to be (which in my case, for most games, usually means a lot of button mashing, with the occasional, "Ooooooh! I like that move! Imma do it again!"
posted by Diagonalize at 9:47 PM on February 12, 2010

I'll third Super Mario Galaxy. The game does indeed have an easy learning curve and a giant portion of the game is accessible without too much trouble (if you were to be a completeish about it hen you will run into hard parts but that is only a third of the total game. Plus the level design is full of fun and whimsy.
posted by mmascolino at 9:59 PM on February 12, 2010

You should try the Telltale Games catalog on Xbox Live. They make old-school point and click adventure games (no button mashing, you just solve puzzles as you move through the story). They release their games as episodes, so you can buy the first one in a series for pretty cheap to test it out (and there are demos too).

I recommend trying the Wallace & Gromit and Sam & Max seasons. They are games full of humor, fun and interesting characters, and you get lots of time to figure out the puzzles (and walkthroughs are easily available online, if needed). If you like them, then try the The Secret of Monkey Island:Special Edition. It's the original Monkey Island, redone with new graphics. It's harder/trickier than the Telltale games, but it's a classic for a reason - it's really fun.
posted by gemmy at 10:43 PM on February 12, 2010

I'd definitely second Ratchet and Clank, and I really don't think you need to play them all in order. I didn't play any until the PS3, and I thought Tools of Destruction was just dandy.

I'm really referring more to the PS2 games. I think if you were to now play the original R&C or Going Commando for the first time after playing ToD, you would be disappointed and frustrated.
posted by peep at 10:47 PM on February 12, 2010

Surprised nobody's mentioned Uncharted 2 on PS3. Great storyline, great visuals, simple puzzles and really really easy, full of hints if you get stuck etc.
posted by runkelfinker at 2:24 AM on February 13, 2010

Fable II is very forgiving and my girlfriend (a casual gamer at best) just completed it. She really enjoyed it.
posted by jozzas at 4:44 AM on February 13, 2010 [1 favorite]

You may think singing by yourself is depressing. But drumming by yourself is awesome. It takes some rhythm and coordination, sure, but you can put it on no-fail and slowly get the hang of things.
posted by EmilyClimbs at 6:29 AM on February 13, 2010

Fellow KH fan here -

I've played through about a third of Tales of Vesperia on a friend's 360, and am very tempted to import the PS3 version, but - it's not that easy, even on Easy. The game's first 20 hours suffer from an inverse difficulty curve - it's hard at first and gradually gets easier, but spikes at some bosses. Later on, it's easier than its predecessor, Abyss, but the first dungeon of the game is hard on Normal and only doable on Easy. Some of the early bosses are ridiculously gay too (like, literally [spoilers], and the achievement for this fight caused some controller throwing and finger cramps), so keep that in mind if you eventually pick it up.

All that said, I still highly recommend it, the consistently great voice acting by Troy Baker makes me prefer the localisation to the original, a first for any game (even better than Kingdom Hearts). It's the only RPG that I'll definitely eventually play on the PS3 because it's got a great cast of characters... I'm just waiting on Namco Bandai for a localisation and waiting to graduate in some to have actual time to play it. If you can get a friend or friends to play it with you, since the battles are multiplayer and humans playing >>> AI-controlled party, it's a lot like having an interactive movie marathon.

And.... Even my friend's mother is playing Uncharted 2 (she's "gotten through 1 or 2 chapters") - I'm serious - that's how easy it is, so try it out.
posted by selvaria at 7:09 AM on February 13, 2010

What up, Pokemon Snap buddy!

I'm a lot like you -- love video games but I'm not exceptionally good at them, and anything that requires timing and dexterity usually leaves me in tears. That said, I'll name a few games that I loved and why. Some of these have already been recommended, so I'll try to add more information about them.

For JRPGs, I have really loved the "Tales" series of games -- Tales of Symphonia (originally for GC but I think they released it for PS2 as well), Tales of the Abyss (PS2), Tales of Vesperia (360). Combat in these games is real-time and somewhat similar to fighting games, but that notwithstanding, they're not too hard (pretty sure they all have adjustable difficulty) and strategy tends to fall along the lines of "don't use ice attacks on monsters that are resistant to ice." Avoid Tales of Legendia (PS2), it was an okay game but it broke a lot of the mechanics that are good about the other games.

I am terrible terrible terrible at rhythm games but I find Lego Rock Band, on Medium difficulty, on bass, just about the right level of challenge. Also you can't really fail out of a song. If you do poorly, you just go into "recovery" mode. This may or may not make it forgiving enough to be enjoyable.

For engrossing stories and memorable characters you really can't beat Bioware's oeuvre. Mass Effect is more or less a shooter game, and I totally suck at shooters, but after watching a friend play the sequel I opted to give it a try. There was a bit of an adjustment period for me (had to re-do the first mission after getting squished a lot) but once I got used to it, I really started having a lot of fun. Both Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 have a "casual" difficulty setting.

You might also want to check out Dragon Age, a fantasy RPG by Bioware. I love this game so much I've played through it three times. It also has a "Casual" difficulty setting, but I'll add that until you get used to the combat mechanics you may still find it challenging (I did). Even on the easy setting you can't really expect to succeed by just charging into every encounter. Try the 360 version of the game, as my understanding is that the encounters were scaled back a bit from the PC version, therefore it may be more forgiving.

Torchlight is a cute little action RPG (Diablo-style game) that is great for short bursts of low-stakes, casual fun. I think it's only available for PC. The basic structure of the game is that you explore a single dungeon that just keeps going down and down and down and down... clearing a single level probably takes 15-20 minutes, and it has a lot of what I think of as natural stopping points, so it doesn't have to be a big timesink if you don't want it to be. It's also pretty inexpensive, US$20 last I checked. It doesn't have much of a story to it, so your enjoyment will hinge on whether or not you find it satisfying to mow down lots and lots of enemies and pick up their loots.
posted by trunk muffins at 7:27 AM on February 13, 2010

Absolutely recommending Psychonauts!

Fascinating kid-oriented puzzle-adventure with a very strange plot involving telepathy, telekinesis, and intriguing psychological explorations. Many of the segments involve the protagonist solving a problem inside another character's mind.
posted by ovvl at 11:06 AM on February 13, 2010

This question could have been written by me, and I LOVED Portal. However, there were about three points in the game where I knew exactly what to do but I just didn't have the coordination to pull it off; luckily, I had a brother to make do to the dirty work. :3 You may have better luck, though.

If you're interested in branching out onto other platforms, I think you would really like some of the detective/mystery games that are out for DS (and possibly Wii), especially Hotel Dusk 215 and the various Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney games. You set your own pace, and it's more about puzzles that make sense (as in, why won't this person answer your question? Search around the room and find a piece of evidence that will get him talking). Little to no action or perilous sequences, either.

Finally, if you got Little Big Planet and didn't like it (I also had trouble near the end while playing by myself), don't give up on it yet; spend some time exploring the community levels. They range from ridiculously hard to insanely easy "levels" that are basically a ride on a roller coaster, and since they aren't connected to beating the game, it's easier to just say "Augh, I give up!" and move on if frustrated.
posted by sarahsynonymous at 11:18 AM on February 13, 2010

Thank you for all of your suggestions! I'm sure this question will come in handy for other people with my problem, so feel free to keep suggesting things.

I guess I wasn't detailed enough with my question, though, because I've played many, MANY games that I didn't mention, and you suggested them to me. Oops! Pretty much if it was a popular game in the last 7-10 years, I've tried my hand at it. Also, just because it's a game I loved doesn't mean it wasn't ridiculously hard for me (like God of War II, or Odin Sphere and Okami which are both so pretty and so unbeatable by my feeble skills.) Fable II was very easy, and very predictable, and I disliked every character and plot twist, except for the power that involved flinging phantom swords at people, that bit was neat. As for Shadow of the Colossus, I worked my way through it, already knowing the "story", and stopped four colossi in due to overwhelming sadness. I tell people about it when trying to make the "videogames = art" argument, but it's not fun, and I'm looking for fun.

As for buying a DS, I already have one! (It's the golden triforce one, natch.) But I really dislike the formfactor and posture is bad enough as it is, so I didn't mention it. I also didn't mention my SNES, Gamecube, N64, or Dreamcast! Believe me, Chrono Trigger is definitely the best, I don't know why I didn't list it under games I love. I'm going to stay away from a lot of the games that are soundly considered to have stronger controls on the PC, because that sort of poor implementation drives me nuts.

Anyway, I'm definitely going to check some of these out. Monkey Island is a definite - I keep forgetting about it, shame! Psychonauts has been panned repeatedly by my best friend for so long that I forgot it existed and that I should ignore his hardcore gamer, spreadsheet-loving ways. I missed Prototype entirely but it sounds right up my alley. Conveniently, I am in possession of most of the "Tales" games, so I'll give them another go - learning that 20 hours in gets me something other than continual grinding gives me hope, and I'd give my right eye for a weird modern J-RPG that wasn't stressful as hell (Persona for idiots?), so I'll take what anime goodness I can get. Mario Galaxy was on order but it got canceled so I'll just have to order that sucker again.

Thanks again; I now have a tidy list that should keep me occupied for quite some time. I've marked a few as best answer just for kicks, but you all were very helpful.
posted by Mizu at 4:16 AM on February 14, 2010

you will really enjoy flower, downloadable on the PS3.
posted by bruceo at 10:40 PM on February 15, 2010

Nthing Portal! I can get frustrated at puzzle games or platform type games when I feel that they don't make intrinsic sense once I figure out a puzzle, or make me redo a level again and again to proceed if I fail. Portal is not like that, it is incredibly fun, different, has an awesome/hilarious story. There are parts of Portal that I wouldn't call super easy, but a great portion of the game can be completed via trial and error, and it's FUN trial and error, not tedious at all. Can't recommend it enough.
posted by haveanicesummer at 12:01 PM on February 16, 2010

Bruceo, flower is probably my most often played game. Sometimes I run through it when I'm super stressed and it makes me so, SO happy. I don't know why I forgot to mention it. Like I said, I play so many games! I just don't often get past three or four hours of playtime.
posted by Mizu at 2:26 AM on February 18, 2010

I just finished The Witcher, and I was thinking it might work for you. RPG, great story. You have to click on the enemies at the right time to chain your attack, but your cursor changes to a flame on normal difficulties.
posted by Monday, stony Monday at 12:04 AM on October 3, 2010

« Older I'll Hello Your Kitty, Valentine (Er....)   |   quinoa FAIL. Help? Newer »