What does it mean to be UK resident for insurance purposes?
February 9, 2010 12:09 PM   Subscribe

What does it mean to be a UK resident for insurance purposes? I'd like to buy multi-trip travel insurance. However, I'm currently working on a contract in another country (France) until the end of May.

On the one hand, I have a UK passport, am still registered with a doctor in the UK, I have an EHIC card (as my contract is just one year, so I am kind-of UK for health purposes), and own a house in the UK. But on the other hand, I also rent a flat in France, have the obligatory french health insurance, social security number, and pay taxes here.

The insurance websites say things like this...

"You must be a UK resident. This means that your main home must be in the United Kingdom and you must be registered with a medical practitioner in the United Kingdom.

We are unable to insure:
a) Foreign Au Pairs working in the UK.
b) Foreign Nationals - unless you have been in the UK at least 6 months, have a permanent National Insurance number and are registered with a medical practitioner in the UK."

So do I qualify as a brit in this case, or will I have to polish up my Francais and try to get something locally?
posted by handee to Travel & Transportation (6 answers total)
I had the same circumstances as you, except I was renting in England rather than owning a house, and I bought UK travel insurance with no problem.
posted by ellieBOA at 12:25 PM on February 9, 2010

Should have added, as you will have your UK address as your contact address with the insurance company, you will need someone who can forward you any mail from them you will need, like the policy certificate.
posted by ellieBOA at 1:13 PM on February 9, 2010

I'd ask them and explain in detail your situation. At the end of the day, if the insurance actually needs to pay out, the first thing they'll do is check you meet their criteria.

It's really that simple. It doesn't matter what we say. Honesty up front is always the best policy with insurance companies because you're signing up to their policies, not the other way round.
posted by MuffinMan at 12:28 AM on February 10, 2010

Response by poster: Thanks ellieBOA & MuffinMan.

ellieBOA did you have to claim on the insurance? Who did you get it through? I'm pretty sure I could buy it, but I'm kinda keen that it works, too.

MuffinMan good call, I have found a contact email on one site and fired off a question.
posted by handee at 2:33 AM on February 10, 2010

Thankfully never had to claim with mine, I used the Royal Bank of Scotland's.
posted by ellieBOA at 2:48 AM on February 10, 2010

Response by poster: Just a note in case anyone is in a similar situation. I contacted various companies to check they'd be OK with the trip. Most weren't. I went with Trailfinders in the end - they'll insure me from the UK but with a French address, and they're OK with transferring the policy between countries when I go back to England in a few months.
posted by handee at 4:05 PM on February 15, 2010

« Older Which hotel would you recommend in San Juan?   |   The chicken says, "Book?" and the frog says, "Read... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.