If only they packaged kumquats like pears.
February 3, 2010 7:26 PM   Subscribe

Where can I find stretchy tubular webbing or netting with approximately a quarter-inch diameter? I need this for airbrushing a snakeskin pattern.

I'm airbrushing a snakeskin pattern onto a 2.5 foot cone that tapers from about a quarter inch up to about 1.5 inches (okay, it's a rifle barrel). I could use flat webbing or mesh, and just wrap it around, but then I'd have a seam. I'm too much of a perfectionist for this to be acceptable.

I've looked at medical dressing webbing, but it's not really small enough to hug the cone at the small end--it would slip around as I manipulate the object for painting. I eventually found some webbing that's used to cover conveyor belt rollers, but the smallest diameter I can find there is half an inch.

I have some pinstriping tape on order, so that I can manually construct the scale pattern if need be. But, I'd really prefer to have some sort of tubular netting to use as a stencil. Building it out of pinstriping tape is easily three or four evenings' worth of labor. I'd like to save myself the trouble.
posted by Netzapper to Media & Arts (7 answers total)
Hmm, my suggestion would be to head down to your local fruit market / green grocer and see if they have any of the stretchy netting that is used to protect fragile fruit in transit.
posted by Kerasia at 7:44 PM on February 3, 2010

Heh, I didn't even see your title before typing my answer. Seems like you already know about the fruit protection thang.
posted by Kerasia at 7:50 PM on February 3, 2010

Maybe the florist has some of that stuff they put on rose buds to keep them from opening?
Like the stuff this tubular net packaging machine makes.
posted by at the crossroads at 7:56 PM on February 3, 2010

Crinoline cyberlox?
posted by idiotfactory at 11:20 PM on February 3, 2010

I pulled apart my shower sponge, you know, those pom-pom things that you use with shower gel. It's tubular and, depending on the kind you find, may have the diameter you want.
posted by KathyK at 6:08 AM on February 4, 2010

Best answer: What you want is called "tubular crinoline", often used for cyberlocks. I can only find it in bulk on the net, but you ought to be able to get smaller pieces cheaply from a local millinery or sewing supply shop.
posted by Pallas Athena at 6:49 AM on February 4, 2010

Best answer: Is an elastic polyethylene mesh sleeve what you're looking for ?

For example, McMasterCarr part number 5969K21
posted by buzzv at 8:56 AM on February 4, 2010

« Older How to make a road bike less twitchy?   |   Cure My Verbosity. Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.