Strange utensil
February 2, 2010 7:18 AM   Subscribe

Help identify what is presumably an unusual piece of cutlery. Photos inside.

Photos - 1, 2, 3, 4.

Presumably a utensil designed for eating or serving something specific, along the lines of asparagus tongs or a seafood pick. A set of 6 each measuring 11cm, silver plated and appear to be decoratively designed for the table rather than a purely functional tool.

They open via the hinge and are held with thumb in one loop and two fingers in the other. They don't appear to have been designed to lift things from a plate, rather to grab and remove something maybe?

There is a makers mark I have been unable to identify.

posted by fire&wings to Home & Garden (8 answers total)
My first thought was a glove stretcher, although it doesn't look exactly like the ones I've seen before.
posted by kimdog at 7:27 AM on February 2, 2010

Pure speculation here, but maybe a type of marrow scoop or spoon?
posted by Max Power at 7:29 AM on February 2, 2010

A shucking device for beans or a way to grab artichoke leaves?
posted by tilde at 7:33 AM on February 2, 2010

They are asparagus tongs.
posted by Mr.Me at 7:39 AM on February 2, 2010

I have seen those - or something very similar - and I cannot for the life of me remember what they're for. I'll think about it some more.
posted by cooker girl at 7:39 AM on February 2, 2010

Best answer: Asparagus tongs.
posted by Dojie at 7:39 AM on February 2, 2010

Best answer: Yep. Asparagus tongs. Much like these.
posted by cooker girl at 7:43 AM on February 2, 2010

Response by poster: Yeah they look like those. I did suspect that's what they might be, but they seemed awkward to use compared to traditional tongs. Thanks.
posted by fire&wings at 7:45 AM on February 2, 2010

« Older Personality Change after a life altering event?   |   Fleas Begone!! Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.