Is February too late to sell winter clothes to a vintage store?

I have a lot of long-sleeved dresses to drop off at a vintage store that purchases used clothes for re-sale. Is February too late to sell winter clothes to a vintage store? Should I wait til late summer to sell?

I want to drop off a metric ton of cardigans and long-sleeved dresses and shirts to drop off at Beacon's Closet in Brooklyn. I'd rather not have a huge pile of unwanted clothes dwelling the back of my closet, so if the demand for cold-weather clothes is still medium-to-high, I'll to drop them off now. But if it's already spring season for vintage buyers, I'll keep hoarding! What should I do?
posted by Hwaet to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (4 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Ask them.
posted by jgirl at 3:41 PM on January 31, 2010

Keep them; February is very late. The odds are excellent that the store won't want anything to do with them until August.
posted by kmennie at 3:42 PM on January 31, 2010

I'm a big fan of used clothing stores, and all the places I know of are buying for spring. Save them up for fall.
posted by foxy_hedgehog at 3:58 PM on January 31, 2010

I don't know about seasonality, but FYI Beacon's closet is notoriously very picky about what they will buy, but with (from my perspective) little rhyme or reason to it. It's apparently not uncommon for people to go with a huge bag full of stuff, and for them to only want 1 or 2 items. They do pay pretty well for what they've bought from me. The convenience is that they will donate stuff they don't buy, so you don't have to lug it to goodwill yourself.

If your stuff is vintage, maybe sell on Etsy or Ebay as well?
posted by foodmapper at 4:18 PM on January 31, 2010

« Older Geology - mountains and oceans   |   It's a giant erector set, or, a series of tubes Newer »