Open ice skating in Boston area

Where can I go to do weekend indoor ice-skating in the Boston(Cambridge--Waltham along I-90) area?

I'm looking for an indoor place you are familiar with that has an open skate and skate rental in Boston on the weekends. I'm not a great skater, so no place that is only for experienced skaters. A place that is open around this time on Sundays.

The area that would be best is from Waltham to around Cambridge, along Interstate 90.

Anybody familiar with good places to ice skate indoors in this area?
posted by furious to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (4 answers total)

Veterans Memorial in Somerville has some public skating time, although limited:

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/recreate/skating.htm
posted by miasma at 8:35 AM on January 31, 2010

Daly Memorial Rink. About 2 minutes off of the Watertown exit on the Pike. Depending on who you talk to it's in Brighton, or Newton, or Watertown, and Google Maps cannot seem to find it. It's right next door to Community Rowing (their address also doesn't work in a GPS, but it's a recognizable building and the street map shows the correct location).
posted by cocoagirl at 8:48 AM on January 31, 2010

Harvard University just opened a public rink in Allston.
posted by Gungho at 9:58 AM on January 31, 2010 [1 favorite]

MIT also has an ice rink on campus (scroll down to Johnson Athletic Center). The hours vary and are somewhat limited, but there are usually a couple open skate sessions on weekends, and they do have skate rental.
posted by sigmagalator at 12:24 PM on January 31, 2010

« Older How to buy my first car with no money?   |   How can I deal with intense social anxiety so I... Newer »