Where can you feel a fetus move?

I'm 17 weeks pregnant. I know WHEN I should start feeling my baby move. I just need help figuring out WHERE I'll feel it.

As I said, I'm 17 weeks pregnant. This is my second pregnancy. I know that the top of my uterus is about halfway between my pelvic bone and belly button. However, my "baby bump" protrudes all the way from my pubic bone to my sternum.

I feel bumps, taps, and swooshes on the bottom of my bump that I assume is the baby because my uterus is down there. However, I also feel taps and thumps on the top of my bump, especially when I'm sitting curled up on the couch with my knees drawn up. I've assumed that this is just digestion, but sometimes it feels an awful lot like baby movement. I've started wondering if I am somehow feeling the baby move up there.

Am I right in thinking that I won't feel the baby move any higher than my fundal height? Or can kicks sometimes feel like they're happening higher?
posted by christinetheslp to Health & Fitness (6 answers total)

The nubblin is suspended in water, and your insides are conductive jelly. Even if the actual motion starts low, you can feel it in all kinds of interesting places.

Don't be shocked when (later in pregnancy) you feel motion transferred all the way up into your chest behind your sternum, and all the way down into your vagina and rectum.

(But do make sure to enjoy it when the baby is big enough that you can see it twisting and turning under your skin like a scene out of Aliens. It's kinda cool!)
posted by headspace at 6:25 AM on January 29, 2010

I'm thinking the thumps up top are gas. When I got gas after my triplets were born, I'd think, "ooh, a baby's moving!" and then remember that they were already born. Ha!
posted by pyjammy at 7:45 AM on January 29, 2010

no science at all to back it up, but i swear my kids kicked me in the ribs. And i absolutely saw them kick or headbutt me near the top of the bump.
posted by domino at 11:53 AM on January 29, 2010

Yeah, at around 20 weeks, I kept feeling the baby move, but interpreting it as "Oh, I just ate lunch" feelings. If you feel a bit of a flutter (and I can't remember feeling it in any specific place), it's likely a baby movement.
posted by naturesgreatestmiracle at 1:06 PM on January 29, 2010

Baby anachronism kicked me in the ribs hard enough that one clicked - ob. said it wasn't an uncommon experience. From the time we could discern which bits of her were where she had her feet under my right side ribs and head down and to the left. We'd occasionally see her bum or her elbow poke out when she wriggled.

My placenta was totally posterior though so I felt movement very early and over my entire bump. By 28 weeks you could see her move in that Alien-esque way (although thanks to my fat covering, it was a little Jurassic Park like as well).
posted by geek anachronism at 2:43 PM on January 29, 2010

28 should be 20 weeks. GAH.
posted by geek anachronism at 2:46 PM on January 29, 2010

« Older I Am Standing In Sunshine On A Tall Peak, Below Me...   |   blast Newer »