What is this wall socket for?

My unit was built in Australia in the 60's or 70's and has an odd socket on the wall. It has two small round holes, 2-3mm in diameter, spaced approx 3mm apart. It's above my power point and below the telephone socket. Here's a picture of it. Does anyone know what it is used for?
posted by Kris10_b to Home & Garden (5 answers total)

Best answer: Old TV antenna socket.
posted by goshling at 3:11 AM on January 25, 2010

Is this in the bathroom or kitchen by any chance? It's an old socket for appliances like electric razors, hairdryers, wireless etc. I have no idea what the specification is (well before my time), but that's what it was used for. A trip to the salvos may still yield old appliances with this setting.

In fact, I believe I found it, the old BS 4573 see here.

I quote:

"In the United Kingdom and Ireland, what appears to be a larger version of the type C plug exists for use with shavers (electric razors) in bath or shower rooms.[13] In fact it was not derived from the type C plug at all, but was a legacy from the obsolete 2 pin 5 amp plug used in Britain in the 1920s and 1930s but still prevalent, especially in bathrooms, as late as the 1960s. It has 0.2 in (5.08 mm) diameter pins 5⁄8 in (15.88 mm) apart, and the sockets for this plug are often designed to accept unearthed CEE 7/16, US or Australian plugs as well. Sockets are often able to supply either 230V or 115V. In wet zones, they must contain an isolation transformer compliant with BS 3535."
posted by smoke at 3:13 AM on January 25, 2010

I stand corrected! That was fast!
posted by smoke at 3:15 AM on January 25, 2010

Response by poster: Thanks goshling! I thought that might be the case, but just kept finding pics of the newer types of antenna sockets.
posted by Kris10_b at 3:24 AM on January 25, 2010

Believe it or not the same question was asked and answered already, by another person in Australia, just last year. There's some additional discussion and detail there.
posted by majick at 6:58 AM on January 25, 2010

« Older Offsite tape storage in Shanghai   |   hippie pants Newer »