Can I use this laptop in a dim room?

Do all new Lenovo laptops, or at least all Ideabooks, have the keyboard light? I love the keyboard light built into the top of the screen, but can't figure out if the Y550 has it, and the vendor has not been able to answer definitively.
posted by theora55 to Computers & Internet (8 answers total)

I think the answer is no. Lenovo/IBM call this feature ThinkLight and as far as I know it is only found on their ThinkPad notebooks. ThinkWiki has some info about which ThinkPad lines have ThinkLights. This forum thread about the Y550 includes a mention that there are "No backlight or thinklight on the ideapad."

The Lenovo website lists "ThinkLight" under "Other Features" in ThinkPad specs but there is no mention of keyboard illumination in the Ideapad Y-series specs that I checked.
posted by mbrubeck at 2:45 PM on January 22, 2010

Spec sheets for all Lenovo models. It looks like all Thinkpad models have the ThinkLight, and none of the Ideapads do.
posted by smackfu at 2:46 PM on January 22, 2010

Holy crap. I have a ThinkPad and I had NO IDEA I had a keyboard light. I just found the key on the keyboard. Thanks, guys! (and I feel like an idiot for not knowing that!)
posted by cooker girl at 2:52 PM on January 22, 2010 [1 favorite]

Cooker girl, I've pointed that light out to some very experienced IT professionals, and it's a feature I love. There's a great deal on an Ideapad, now I have to decide if the savings compensate for the lack of the Thinklight.
posted by theora55 at 8:07 PM on January 22, 2010

I have one of these lights on my x200s - it's just great.
posted by mr. strange at 3:29 AM on January 23, 2010

Yeah, what's nice is that the Fn and PgUp/light key are at opposite corners of the keyboard so that you can actually find them in the absolute pitch black just by finding the keyboard perimeter.

I have owned several ThinkPads and have played around with a couple of IdeaPads. I think the IdeaPads are good machines, but overall I prefer the ThinkPads. In case you weren't aware, Lenovo has an outlet that offers new products ordered but never shipped (usually from large business orders where the quantity was changed). These are already configured, so you take what's available, but the selection is usually pretty good and the price is too - typically 30-50% off.
posted by clerestory at 12:54 PM on January 23, 2010

Clerestory, thanks, I'll check that out.
posted by theora55 at 12:44 PM on January 24, 2010

Addendum: http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell-mini-9-hardware-upgrades/17821-keyboard-illumination-led-modification-pics.html
posted by theora55 at 9:37 PM on January 28, 2010

« Older You didn't really want to post that to MeFi, did...   |   Texas tourists in Los Angeles! Newer »