Great homemade caramel corn in Seattle?

Is there a great place in Seattle that makes homemade caramel corn? In Minnesota, where I'm from, places like Candyland offer giant tins of popped corn divided into three flavors--caramel corn in one section of the tin, plain in one, cheese popcorn in the third. You can smell it all the way down the street. Surely Seattle must have a place like this, right? Extra bonus points if it's north of downtown, Ballard-Fremont-Northgate area.
posted by GaelFC to Food & Drink (9 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Kukuruza at Pike and Third (215 Pike)?
posted by kindall at 10:31 PM on January 21, 2010

That would have been my answer.

They're kind of fancified though.
posted by Artw at 11:03 PM on January 21, 2010

No personal experience as I'm not a popcorn fan myself, but a friend strongly suggested you should check out Paige Lisbeth caramel popcorn from Whidbey.
posted by polymath at 12:09 AM on January 22, 2010

Ooh, I'm gonna have to order one of those Candyland old-fashioned tins!
posted by candyland at 5:00 AM on January 22, 2010

There's a candy shop on the main floor of the Seattle Center House (fun to watch those taffy machines do their thing!) and I'm sure they make and sell caramel corn too.
posted by Sublimity at 7:02 AM on January 22, 2010

I haven't been to the Fremont Sunday market in about a year or so, but there was always a stand set up near the end (Phinney side) that had kettle corn and caramel corn that was freshly made and always delicious.
posted by Crashback at 10:13 AM on January 22, 2010

This might not be so helpful right now, but I usually get bags of kettle corn and/or caramel corn from either the vendors just north of Safeco field along Occidental during baseball season, or from the vendor that sets up outside of Westlake Center around Christmas time. Unfortunately, January to April is kind of a dead period for the outdoor popcorn guys. Also, I haven't ever seen them offer cheese popcorn.
posted by mhum at 11:09 AM on January 22, 2010

Thanks, all. I didn't have time to get down to Kukuruza, but it sounds like a great place to check for future! Instead I got some locally made, small-batch stuff called Simply Sinful that's available at Central Market (and Ballard and Greenwood Markets, I think). They had chocolate swirled, plain, cashew and almond.
posted by GaelFC at 12:49 PM on January 22, 2010

FYI, I went to Kukuruza later, and highly recommend it. Fun flavors (strawberry dipped in chocolate, raspberry dipped in white chocolate, rocky road, Smores, cappuccino, fruit medley) and the friendly owner and his young daughter were serving it.
posted by GaelFC at 3:52 PM on February 24, 2010

« Older How much are SMS (text) message deliveries worth...   |   Divorce after Tragedy Newer »