Avoiding pate de crap

I am making pate de fruit and I have a few questions.

Making my own puree was a disaster and expensive so I am buying puree and following the recipe from the Borion site (I cant seem to link to it directly, but its the one above confectioners, the table is unappealingly labeled "fruit pastes" in English). I have a few questions:

1) the recipe calls for apple juice and specifies "non-sterilized 100% apple juice, if possible without added acid" I am using cider. Is that reasonable? 2) Is there any reason to use glucose from the baking store and not light corn syrup? 3) and most puzzling, the recipe calls for tartaric acid in grams. I get my tartaric acid in crystal form. If it calls for 30 g of tartaric acid should I dump 30 g of crystals in or dilute the crystals in water and then add it? If I should dilute it, what ratio should I use?
posted by shothotbot to Food & Drink (4 answers total)

the recipe calls for apple juice and specifies "non-sterilized 100% apple juice, if possible without added acid" I am using cider. Is that reasonable?

Well, does your cider have vitamin C added as a preservative? That would be an added acid. Using cider will also affect the clarity of the final product. Do you want something slightly translucent? If so you, you should use filtered apple juice.

Is there any reason to use glucose from the baking store and not light corn syrup?

The main thing is that it contains a lot of water, whereas the recipe is probably talking about either a very, very thick liquid glucose or even solid glucose tablets.

Also, most corn syrups contain vanilla, which may or may not be something you care about. Light corn syrup contains dextrin in addition to glucose, so it's not exactly the same.
posted by jedicus at 10:15 PM on January 20, 2010

Well, does your cider have vitamin C added as a preservative? That would be an added acid.
OK. How do I tell if apple juice has been sterilized?
posted by shothotbot at 4:36 AM on January 21, 2010

It'll be labeled 'pasteurized.' In the US it's pretty hard to get unpasteurized orange juice; I'm not sure about apple juice.
posted by jedicus at 6:22 AM on January 21, 2010

It's illegal to buy unpasteurized apple juice outside of farm stands in most states, I believe. Try a farmer's market, or if your'e serious about it, buy a juicer! Fresh apple juice is seriously the tits.
posted by CharlesV42 at 7:00 AM on January 21, 2010

« Older Has my dinosaur of an mp3 player become a...   |   Removing Yahoo search results from Firefox address... Newer »