Fightin mad in Philly

Older leftist, new to Philly, want to find way to organize against teabaggers and their agenda.

New job in Philly suburbs where there's not a heck of a lot of leftists, at least that I can discern. Any suggestions? I use a wheelchair, so that limits my activities a wee bit.
posted by angrycat to Law & Government (5 answers total)

I would recommend volunteering for Joe Sestak's senate campaign as a good place to start. There are plenty of leftists around the burbs, I would check out local Democracy for America groups too so you can see what is going on.
posted by furiousxgeorge at 4:39 PM on January 20, 2010 [1 favorite]

Not sure where around Philly you live, but Swarthmore College would be a very hospitable place for you to visit... You'd likely run into many like-minded folk from all around town at free lectures, concerts, even the free astronomy nights, etc. Plenty of non-college age people at these events.
posted by belau at 6:02 PM on January 20, 2010

Came to recommend supporting Sestak as well.

He co-sponsored the Respect for Marriage Act, which would repeal DOMA, he opposes Don't Ask Don't Tell, and he has called marriage equality and sexual identity/orientation questions the civil rights issue of our generation. Congessman Sestak is the parent of a daughter who survived brain cancer, and has invited a group I am part of, the Children's Brain Tumor Research Foundation, to meet and work with him on funding (a big deal to me, because my daughter died of brain cancer just slightly less than a year ago). He co-sponsored the Caroline Pryce Walker Conquer Childhood Cancer Act, and announced the Pediatric Cancer Caucus (which he will chair). He has a good record and solid endorsements on reproductive rights, conservation/environmental issues, and he is a co-sponsor of the Employee Free Choice Act. Harvard grad, World War II vet, Pennsylvania born-and-raised.

Welcome to the Philly suburbs. I do think you will find a lot of outlets for organization and activities here.
posted by bunnycup at 7:20 PM on January 20, 2010

Response by poster: Thanks guys. I'm gonna do my best to promote the Sestak cause, and will spread the word amongst my apolitical/completely discouraged Philly friends. Bunnycup, thank you in particular for your post.
posted by angrycat at 12:00 PM on January 21, 2010

Check your MeFi Mail.
posted by Diskeater at 8:55 PM on January 21, 2010

« Older 100 PUs + 200 SUs = Freaky figure?   |   How can I stop my sister's dog from enabling my... Newer »