Who Saw Jane?

What-is-that-song-filter: What song about Jane did a girl sing at my high school choir concert pre-1998?

I remember a girl singing a song with the phrase, "I see Jane" repeated at a high school choir concert. She sang it as a solo and this was sometime between 1995-1997. I think the song was probably released around that time, but it might've been older. The song is not: "Jane" by the Barenaked Ladies, "Jane Says" by Jane's Addiction, or "Famous Blue Raincoat" by Leonard Cohen. Any ideas? Thanks hivemind!
posted by shesbookish to Media & Arts (7 answers total)

Sweet Jane, maybe?
posted by oinopaponton at 1:14 PM on January 20, 2010

Gotta See Jane??
posted by Dojie at 1:19 PM on January 20, 2010

Longshot: The Ballad of Jayne by L.A. Guns?
posted by jbickers at 1:20 PM on January 20, 2010

I bet oinopaponton has it. That song was popular then. And at least in the Cowboy Junkies version, when she sings Sweet Jane she puts an 'ah' or an 'ooh' in front of it. Listening to it I can totally see how you might have thought the singer was singing I See Jane.
posted by ian1977 at 1:28 PM on January 20, 2010

Does it start "Standing on the corner/ Suitcase in my hand"? If so, it's Sweet Jane.
posted by Clambone at 3:43 PM on January 20, 2010

Unless it's the Live 1969 > Cowboy Junkies version, in which case it starts "anyone who's ever had a heart / wouldn't turn around and break it."
posted by anazgnos at 3:49 PM on January 20, 2010

I think the song in my head has changed in the intervening years because I could swear it was something different, but the Cowboy Junkies version of Sweet Jane makes the most sense. Thanks for brainstorming with me, mefites!
posted by shesbookish at 8:48 PM on January 20, 2010

« Older legally dropping out of school, in MN   |   Are you legally an adult at 18 or 21? Newer »