Experiences with chemotherapy drug, Xeloda.

My father starts both radiation and chemotherapy tomorrow for colorectal cancer. For chemo, he has been prescribed Xeloda - which is taken orally. Can anyone share their experiences with this drug? It's noted that Xeloda is well-tolerated by patients, but I wondering what that exactly means in terms of real-life experience vs the pamphlets and website.
posted by punkrockrat to Health & Fitness (5 answers total)

I am so sorry about your Dad. My Dad is battling cancer as well, and I've found three forums to be very helpful:

• cancerforums.net
  • healingwell.com
  • cancer survivors network

You may get more personal feedback at those sites - the healingwell forums are especially active. Sending good thoughts to your dad.

• posted by Ostara at 3:34 PM on January 18, 2010

Someone I know very well took this for 6 months for colon cancer after an operation to remove a tumour. She didn't have any radiation treatment.

From what I can recall, the main side-effect she got was fairly painful Hand & Foot Syndrome - this basically made her feet fairly painful and sore so walking around became very tiring. She also had some fatigue and and a general lack of energy.
    posted by EndsOfInvention at 3:37 PM on January 18, 2010

I know someone who took this for breast cancer. She got a pretty bad case of hand and foot syndrome. It helped her to wear socks and shoes that tied, and to use a good creamy moisturizer, like Aquaphor. Make sure your dad always takes his meds with food, preferably something starchy and fatty.
    posted by Sara Anne at 4:29 PM on February 18, 2010

As a follow-up to this, my dad is entering his last week of a 6 Week cycle of Xeloda and Radiation. We've been lucky in the sense that he has had little to no side effects, besides sleeping a ton more than usual.

Thanks to those of you who answered, it was much appreciated.
    posted by punkrockrat at 8:28 PM on February 20, 2010

That's cool, good to hear there were minimal side-effects, even with the radiation on top of the Xeloda. Hope your dad recovers quickly.
    posted by EndsOfInvention at 9:07 AM on February 22, 2010

« Older Child-proofing an HDTV?   |   OS X Server kicking me out? Newer »