Scanning software

Looking for open source scanner software for Windows 7 64 bit edition. I have a flatbed scanner, specifically CanoScan LiDE 70. I'm looking for software (not drivers, which I've already downloaded from Canon's site). More detail inside.

The software Canon provides with its scanners is predictably crappy; there must be something better out there.

I have pretty simple scanning needs: I need to scan various sorts of documents: communications from various government agencies, occasional bills, other printed documents, etc.

I want to be able to save these documents as PDFs and/or JPEGs.

I am not looking to scan photographs or other things for which I need high-quality reproduction.

Thanks for the advice.
posted by dfriedman to Computers & Internet (8 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

If you've already got drivers,.. then your computer is "seeing" the scanner, yes?

Then all you should need is/are applications that support TWAIN (direct-scanner-access).

For example:.... Paint.net .... FILE / ACQUIRE / From Camera or Scanner..... at which point Paint.Net will communicate with the scanner and do its magic.

Same for Adobe Acrobat (assuming you have the full version)... there should be a menu option where you tell Adobe to "acquire image from scanner".... then edit as you wish, and save as PDF.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your question.
posted by jmnugent at 5:15 PM on January 10, 2010

Response by poster: Sorry if the question isn't clear. Here's an example of software that you have to pay for.

I don't have the full version of Adobe Acrobat and don't want to pay for it.

I would think that there is some free software out there that will do this (I can't access the download site for Paint.net that you give above).

Thanks.
posted by dfriedman at 5:33 PM on January 10, 2010

Response by poster: Oh, and the scanner and computer are definitely communicating.

Best answer: Not sure why you can't access the Paint.net server, I know download.com hosts it. It's great free software, will do what you want.
posted by defcom1 at 6:09 PM on January 10, 2010 [1 favorite]

2nd'ing Paint.net. Weird you cannot reach the website...

Another option is Gimp
posted by stew560 at 6:35 PM on January 10, 2010 [1 favorite]

picasa also acquires from scanner
posted by spyke23 at 11:55 PM on January 10, 2010

irfanview also acquires from a TWAIN scanner.
posted by knobby_berry at 7:10 AM on January 11, 2010

Response by poster: Thanks for the Paint.net suggestion. Download.com worked.
posted by dfriedman at 6:23 PM on January 11, 2010

« Older Thyroid problems for the thyroidless   |   What in her vagina is scraping my penis? Newer »